• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2550k w/ Sabertooth Z77?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LGkoster

Registered
I heard in a video that the Sabertooth Z77 supports Ivy Bridge cpu's.
Does this mean that a Sandy Bridge 2550k wouldn't work correctly?
Or would I be fine if I were to use this 2550k/Sabertooth Z77 combo?
If it means anything, I plan to OC@5ghz if possible on my 2550k, if not then hopefully [email protected].

MOBO:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/SABERTOOTH_Z77/

PROCESSOR:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115230

I'm a first time builder, or as I like to say "noob". So any information is helpful.

~NOTE~
I will be using either an H100i Corsair Liquid Cooler, or the H80i.
-Depending on changes I make from here until build time
(hopefully by March 1st my rig will be running)

It should worl ok, but if you haven't buy the mobo yet, don't buy the Sabertooth, buy something ell like the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, it cost the same price but perform much better.
If you want ASUS top dog than go with the ASUS Maximus 5.

It will work just fine. That said, the Sabertooth is an overpriced and 'gimmicky' board to me, but it is solid. For CHEAPER, you could get a MSI Z77 Mpower or an Asrock Z77 OC Formula which are more robust boards for overclocking and less gimmicky (that thermal armor and special coating on the sabertooth are silly IMO...I mean you leaving this thing on your desk or taking it in to battle? :p).

5GHz is a crapshoot and isnt normally a 24/7 overclock depending on the CPU.

For the record, in general, boards 'perform' the same as far as benchmarks go. If you, ROG, were talking oveclocking, both boards will be the same. Its been a couple generations now since motherboards mattered too much in overclocking. Get something with enough power phases (Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 would be my choice for 5GHz overclock) and features you need, and dont pay a penny more.

The Maximus 5 is also a monumental overkill for a user not getting in to extreme cooling such as Dry Ice and LN2. You are paying 3x the cost for features that 99% of people wont even touch. That explained, if the OP wants it, go get it! I would only recommend that board to people going extreme cooling. You have a MIVEz and I bet its bios makes your head spin! :p

Last edited:
ASRock Z77 extreme 4 is all you really need to try for 5.0GHz it has 8 + 4 Power Phase, It is all that is necessary for mild overclocking for 24/7.

How close are you to the Microcenter in Westbury? If it's worth the drive just go get this combo and call it a day.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.9 KB · Views: 304
How close are you to the Microcenter in Westbury? If it's worth the drive just go get this combo and call it a day.

I'm in Patchogue exit 62/3 l.i.e. so i'm pretty damn close, and that is a great price. I'm probably going to go with the 2550k though. Is that price only as a package when the two items are bought together or would I still get that deal if I exchange the 3570k with the 2550k?

Would the P77v-Pro be subtle ? With 2550k ?
Subtle?

ASRock Z77 extreme 4 is all you really need to try for 5.0GHz it has 8 + 4 Power Phase, It is all that is necessary for mild overclocking for 24/7.
You know me, and I love the 4, but for an overclock like that, I would get the 6. Take a read: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722124

Will the 4 work? Probably. But for $10 more for this board and its better components, I would get that for a 5GHz o/c.

Cliff's:
Here we have another oddity, Instead of using a doubler/dual-driver for each 2 phases such as the Z77 Extreme6 does, the Z77 Extreme4 uses 5 Intersil ISL6612 which are just simple drivers(4 for the vCore and 1 for the iGPU). Now ASRock is also doubling its phases, however the issues here is that they are linking two phases to each other, so it is a big 4 phase VRM made to look like a 8 phase VRM with added inductors.

Last edited:
I'm in Patchogue exit 62/3 l.i.e. so i'm pretty damn close, and that is a great price. I'm probably going to go with the 2550k though. Is that price only as a package when the two items are bought together or would I still get that deal if I exchange the 3570k with the 2550k?
Why are you hung up on the 2550k? It is a walk in deal only for the 3570k and a z77 board. That combo I posted is a really good price for a really good cpu and board. You have some lofty dreams of 5.0, in most cases for other then benching 5.0 is really not necessary nor 100% achievable. If you were to go with the Asus P8Z77-V Pro the combo price at microcenter for that board and the 3570k would be 351.00. Unless you are going to be benching and going for extreme overclocks, I feel your best choice would be for the ASRock Extreme 4 and the 3570k combo.

Why are you hung up on the 2550k? It is a walk in deal only for the 3570k and a z77 board. That combo I posted is a really good price for a really good cpu and board. You have some lofty dreams of 5.0, in most cases for other then benching 5.0 is really not necessary nor 100% achievable. If you were to go with the Asus P8Z77-V Pro the combo price at microcenter for that board and the 3570k would be 351.00. Unless you are going to be benching and going for extreme overclocks, I feel your best choice would be for the ASRock Extreme 4 and the 3570k combo.

In the end, I'll probably wind up going with the 3570k. And probably only go for a 4.2ghz OC or something around that; maybe 4.0-4.3. How do you think temperatures would be on the 3570k with an H80i on it @4.2ghz? And I think I'm just going to buy through tiger direct/newegg. Considering they're always having sales/deals/coupon codes etc.

In the end, I'll probably wind up going with the 3570k. And probably only go for a 4.2ghz OC or something around that; maybe 4.0-4.3. How do you think temperatures would be on the 3570k with an H80i on it @4.2ghz? And I think I'm just going to buy through tiger direct/newegg. Considering they're always having sales/deals/coupon codes etc.
I have no experience with the H80i, so I really can't comment on it. You should be able to get to the above clocks on AIR and save yourself the hassle of those AIO water coolers. It's your money so you can do as you please but you aren't going to find a better deal then that walk in one at microcenter, even with rebate codes and such.

Subtle?

You know me, and I love the 4, but for an overclock like that, I would get the 6. Take a read: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722124

Will the 4 work? Probably. But for $10 more for this board and its better components, I would get that for a 5GHz o/c.

Cliff's:

Thanks for the llink the ASRock 6 has a much better VRM.
QUOTE:The components on this board are of much higher quality than the Z77 Extreme4. In fact looking at the PWM and the MOSFETs and the doublers it seems that ASRock is using the same exact components as the X58A-UD5 and X58A-UD7 did for their VRM. However the inductors and the capacitors are different. All in all I would call this a pretty decent VRM, with 4921N as the high-side and 4935N as the low-side MOSFETs, two MOSFETs per phase which is the standard design.

The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is using QUOTE: D-PAK MOSFETs under the heatsinks, D-PAKs were phased out years ago on enthusiast VRMs because of their lack of performance compared to newer low RDS(ON) packages such as PowerPAK and LF-PAK when it comes to thermals. They can cause a lot of heat as they aren?t so well suited for really fast switching power supplies such as needed for newer processors. However you can find them on a few sub $80 motherboards and the Z77 Extreme4.

2500K with no integrated GPU.

Extreme4 is fine for 4.2-4.3GHz. Definitely don't need an H80i for that either...you can do that on a $30 Hyper212+.

MC is WAY cheaper for CPUs and motherboards than Newegg. The 3570K and Extreme4 is $50 more if you get it from Newegg.

I believe it's a 100 mhz faster cpu then the 2500k without integrated graphics.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/02/06/asrock_z77_extreme4_lga_1155_motherboard_review/6

QUOTE:Overclocking the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 was easy. Automated overclocking yielded a result of 4.6GHz which is in line with what everyone else can achieve with similar automated overclocking and pre-defined profiles. The VCore was 1.28v which was exceptionally reasonable. I’ve seen results over 1.4v on some boards. Disabling spread spectrum and increasing CPU load-line calibration to level 1, along with a CPU PLL voltage of 1.91v, I was able to achieve a healthy and stable 4.8GHz overclock. CPU VCore did have to go up to 1.3v VCore which is higher than I have to go on most boards with this CPU. It did read a little lower than that in CPU-Z and there seems to be quite a bit of VDroop on this board with readings deviating by around .30v or more in some cases.

Back