• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 4670k or new AMD FX9370?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coldashes

Registered
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/[email protected]/saved/1Z75

This is my build that I will be ordering parts for the end of this week. As you can probably tell using this rig for gaming and would like to future proof it somewhat because I don't plan on adding new parts for a while. I am just using a single monitor my 37" Vizio HDtv. I know that graphics card may be overkill, but as games become more intensive I figure even a single monitor setup will need a high end card. Anyways I was just curious if the new AMD cpu was worth the money over the i5 4670k in terms of greater performance. I appreciate any suggestions to my build as well as an answer to my question. Thanks everyone in advanced.

In gaming, not worth it at all. Perhaps multithreaded applications, but you can overclock a less expensive CPU to get there.

Personally, a 7970 would be half the cost, has the same amount of vram/bandwidth(384bit), and I would go that route on the GPU for 1080p gaming for the next couple of years.

Last edited:
I was originally going to get a 7970, but was concerned that with the new generation of games coming out that the 7970 would not last a long time. When the GTX 780 came out I figured I would just get the latest one and not have to worry for a long time. Still unsure at the moment if I will switch, but will think about that for sure.

Hi guys I have also been curious about whether or not 550w psu is overkill. Pcpartpicker says that the build should use 450w and the psu I chose is 100w more. I know its a little off topic, but since I have this up might as well ask.

550, wouldn't be overkill at all... I would consider even a 650 or 750, looking into the future

Like I said before I don't plan on adding to this machine for a while. If I do bother in the future to sli/cfx or buy a new card I'll just sell this PSU and buy a new one considering running two GTX 780s at once will make me need to buy a 750w PSU minimum. Now that I see that though I might go with a 750w so that I can just add on another 780 later on. I was just hoping to leave the PSU under one hundred dollars and use the money for parts that add performance.

Coldashes, the 550 is fine. If you want to save yourself a lil bit of money then go with this. Seasonic makes it and the only downside is it is not gold but bronze. I would also look through Newegg and see if you can combo up some of the parts you picked, otherwise the build looks good to me but I third the 7970. Here's a combo on the mobo and cpu.

Last edited:
Hi guys I have also been curious about whether or not 550w psu is overkill. Pcpartpicker says that the build should use 450w and the psu I chose is 100w more. I know its a little off topic, but since I have this up might as well ask.
A quality 550W PSU is PLENTY for any single video card system and CPU, even overclocked.

If you plan on SLI of that 780 in 3+ years (which is not the best move IMO for a couple reasons) then you would want a 750W PSU.

But again, for a single card, the 550W you chose is plenty. Power consumption has really been staying the same or going down for the most part. :thup:

Hey guys found a gold plus certified 750w PSU for $80 so I am gonna go with that just since I would prefer to sli versus just getting a new high end card each time. I also am still on the fence on the gpu was very for the 7970 until I got an extra $2000 in inheritance that I decided to splurge since I am always so responsible with my money

EVGA's power supplies are not bad, but they're not great either.

Personally, I would stick to this list. They're all known to be great PSUs.

I'm not familiar with these new CPU's but comparing the 4670k to the more common 8350 I would seriously doubt that you would notice any difference if the two systems were compared side by side in every day gaming applications.

If you go with the 8350 you not only pay less but get twice as many processing threads, and you can put some of those savings towards a better video card.

As for the Power supply, this XFX 550w PSU is cheaper and just as reliable as the Seasonic you choose.

Alright might go with OCZ Fatal1ty not sure the hardest part of this process i s picking the parts.

OCZ PSU's are mostly MEH as well. What you originally selected, or the XFX model are both good.

Alright was just going off the list ATMINSIDE mentioned. Anyways thanks for all the suggestions I will upload a pic of the finished product a little after August third with all the parts I went with. Wish me luck that all goes well :)

OCZ PSU's are mostly MEH as well. What you originally selected, or the XFX model are both good.

I agree, most are meh and some are good. I'd say the ones on our list are definitely the better of their lineup.

Point is, with that list you won't go wrong :)

The Seasonic you had originally is on there also.

Back