• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 4690k temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Connydom

Hi guys i recently just bought myself the corsair h100i v2 and have been doing some stress tests with my i5 4690k. my i5 4690k is on turbo at 3,9ghz. i haven done numerous stress tests now with aida65 testing my cou and fpu. i have now been doing a stress test for 20 minutes and npw max temperature is 55 degrees (it is about 28 degrees in my room). last night it was cooler and my max temp was 53 degrees doing a test for 10 minutes. how my max temp is not affected by my fans speed. it was 53 degrees max on 100 percent and it was also 53 degrees max on 40 percent fan speed. why is this and are these temperatures good or average. all the stress rests were done with aida64 testing cpu and fpu.

thanks

Last edited:
What jumped out at me........

*You mentioned that "last night it was cooler"... that temps will go down ~1:1 with ambient temperature changes.
*Also, you ran one test (with higher temps) for 20 mins, and the other for 10 mins. It takes more than that long to get an air cooler saturated...

Temps seem fine to me... enjoy your PC!

Blowing more air across cooling fins through higher fan speeds runs into the law of diminishing returns at some point. As the temp on the surface of the cooling fins approaches the temp of the air being pushed over them by the fans the efficiency of the cooling becomes less and less and eventually you reach an equilibrium where forcing more air over the fins has no impact. That equilibrium shifts if either the fins are made hotter or the temp of the air passing over them is made cooler.

Your temps are great.

/endstory

:p

For reference my 4690k at 4.2ghz, 1.16v runs a toasty 70 degrees due to Aus temps + no air con + low RPM/small fans/small case. I'd kill for 50-60 degrees, as I'd likely push for 4.5ghz at least.

Back