• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-3930K Overclock Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D0M1N13

Registered
Hello

I just overclocked my i7-3930K to 4.4GHz @ 1.44V and the temps are about 70C - 80C. During the stress test they go up and come down again and go up and come down again. I was wondering if 1.44V is too much @ 4.4GHz? Also note, that I ran the stress test for a long time and it is stable.

My RIG Specs:

i7-3930K
Corsair 16GB DDR3
Asus P9X79 Deluxe
Corsair Hydro H100i Closed Loop Water cooler
1250 Watt PSU
Coolermaster Cosmos II

70-80C at 1.44V... wow. What stress test are you using? Sound damn near impossible, lol.

1.44V is high, period. I wouldnt go over 1.4V personally.

70-80C at 1.44V... wow. What stress test are you using? Sound damn near impossible, lol.

1.44V is high, period. I wouldnt go over 1.4V personally.

I had a feeling it was high. I was doing the Prime95 test :) Trust me, it is possible ;)

Anyways, I tinkered a bit more and @ 4.3GHz I have 1.56V with temps 65C-69C. Whatever I do to get 4.4GHz, I end up with 1.44V. Tried lowering my voltage but get a blue screen everytime. I think 4.3GHz is the sweet spot for me.

I had a feeling it was high. I was doing the Prime95 test :) Trust me, it is possible ;)

Anyways, I tinkered a bit more and @ 4.3GHz I have 1.56V with temps 65C-69C. Whatever I do to get 4.4GHz, I end up with 1.44V. Tried lowering my voltage but get a blue screen everytime. I think 4.3GHz is the sweet spot for me.

You got a typo there? 4.3GHz at 1.56V??

That's about as high as I would go for 24/7. What are you cooling that with?

Blend test in p95?

Anyway, the 4.3 1.35V is perfectly fine. Nkw start saving your pennies for an upgrade. $650 would put you into an 8c/16t ryzen 3700x/x570/ddr4 3600 setup. Or..by the time you are ready, new chips will be out.. many options that would be a shed load faster.

Anyways, I tinkered a bit more and @ 4.3GHz I have 1.356V with temps 65C-69C. Whatever I do to get 4.4GHz, I end up with 1.44V. Tried lowering my voltage but get a blue screen every time. I think 4.3GHz is the sweet spot for me.

Yes, you are correct :) I mean it was 4.3GHz @ 1.356V :)

Seems similar to my 3960X in terms of your voltage required for 4.3GHz, mine needed 1.34V. Though yours is running much cooler at more or less the same voltage, I was hitting 80°C on my hottest core (though 70°C on my coolest core, somehow, a 10°C difference?). I was using a Corsair H105 with dual Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans, so similar cooling setup.

Blend test in p95?

Anyway, the 4.3 1.35V is perfectly fine. Nkw start saving your pennies for an upgrade. $650 would put you into an 8c/16t ryzen 3700x/x570/ddr4 3600 setup. Or..by the time you are ready, new chips will be out.. many options that would be a shed load faster.

Next year, my rig will be 10 years old. I probably will still keep it 5 more years unless that 4.3GHz won't be enough :p
I heard those Ryzen's are giving Intel a run for their money!!! :D

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Seems similar to my 3960X in terms of your voltage required for 4.3GHz, mine needed 1.34V. Though yours is running much cooler at more or less the same voltage, I was hitting 80°C on my hottest core (though 70°C on my coolest core, somehow, a 10°C difference?). I was using a Corsair H105 with dual Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans, so similar cooling setup.

Hmmmm, I wonder why is my rig is running much cooler than yours? Maybe because the 3960X produced more heat than the 3930K?

Yikes. I'd die with a 15 year old computer... no way.

Everybody has their own preferences ;) As for me, I purely do photo editing stuff with Photoshop, Lightroom, RAW, etc. I don't do any video rendering or video editing....with that said, my RIG is great for watching 4K movies downloaded from torrents, great for photo editing (thanks to you for recommending to overclock my processor) for usage of Lightroom and Photoshop and other editing software :) It still runs smoothly and with the CPU bump, it is flowing like a river ;)

5 more years probably will do it. :) Let's see how AMD and Intel are going to go about in this processor war and also AMD vs NVIDIA in the graphic cards war.. I heard that AMD is really competitive in this era. Let's see how 5 years down the road will change things up ;)

If you think this flows like a river....imagine what a modern system would do.... ;)

...especially with your listed uses...

Back