• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790K Overheating @ 50 W only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CRY&PRAY

Registered
Hello, I've had a strange issue with my 4790k for a while, it's a great chip and it's giving me all the performance I need but I'm getting extremely hot readings. The CPU will get to 100°c no matter what when the pakage excedes around 50 Watt of power (which does when stressing all with IBT or Prime95 small FTT or AIIDA64 FPU ONLY). And here is when it gets even worse, I've UNDERVOLTED the cpu to 1.156V. 2 friends of mine that bought the same cpu at later days are getting something like 105W Pakage while doing the same stress test with temps in the lows 70°c @ 1.27V (everything stock). They both have a cooler master something radiator and I have a noctua ND-H14 with MX-4 TIM. I have a Maximus Hero VII if it's needed. (I don't know if it's good or not but when we ran some benches they were getting 100 Watt at the pakage while on the other end I had to dissipate only 40 Watt (high 80°C) and we both archived the same results, Do I have a magic chip?) New Bitmap Image.jpg

Last edited:
25 °c ambient, I am using TIM, have repasted 3 times in a row, the case is well ventilated because the gpu (hd7990) never goes above 71 °c @ 1000Mhz with the TDP mod (250W per GPU). Small OT : Ive posted time ago why my gpu was so hot, indeed the gpu heatsink was factory faulty and I had to place a small copper shim, now it's doing great.

Sounds like you need to contact Intel, it's possible you have a bad TIM job under the IHS.

That's what I tought, I just needed a confirm. But I'm going crazy, why I just use 50ish watt to archive the same "point" that other 2 friends of mine with the same cpu draw 100ish watt? I mean during those benches temps are not that bad (mid 80°c), but when I've hit the FPU I've got an instant 100 °C.

I'm calling intel right now and I'm going to ask if is possible to RMA this puppy... dang it, the GPU was faulty but i've fixed it, the mobo had a problem and had to RMA that... and now the CPU.

edit: the intel service closes at 5 PM here..

I'll try tomorrow and we'll see if they can replace it, if not do you think that delidding could fix the problem? I've tried to open an old celeron (just to practice if I ever needed to) but it was soldered so I did not forced it.

I've called Intel and they told me to run the IPDT with all the settings on stock and that's what I did.. I am speachless.. that stupid test used 100% of the cpu and only loaded 20 Watt on the CPU (in Idle it uses 15 W). The temps were a joke too, 45 °c... cmon I get 60 °C just playing BF4... unbeliveable.

I cannot configure anything, you just press start and it does an almost fake stress test without AVX that gave me 45 °c (rendering in premiere gives me more). Then if it writes pass is ok else it will tell you what to do... BTW I've delidded the puppy 20 min ago, temps dropped and now at 60 Watt temps are in the high 70° vs the 100+ before.

- - - Updated - - -

aaa.jpg

At least your delidding went well, even if Intel wasn't any help :)

Yeah, that wasy first delid and I have to say that I was scared a bit but hey if you never try you'll never learn. Thanks again atminside for your help. Do I have to close this thread?

Yeah, that wasy first delid and I have to say that I was scared a bit but hey if you never try you'll never learn. Thanks again atminside for your help. Do I have to close this thread?

No need to close it, but if you go to Thread Tools up at the top right of your first post there should be an option to mark "Solved"

The only problem with delidding is you just completely voided your warranty. I would have pushed them on the phone for a replacement.

has anybody lookd at his vcore in post# 11?
either I'm stoned or it looks a bit high for an intel.

has anybody lookd at his vcore in post# 11?
either I'm stoned or it looks a bit high for an intel.

NM... thats the main voltage to the chip I think.

for me that's VIN1 I think...

But 1.85+ CPU VCORE his chip would be done by now.

Back