• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7-5820k and older radeon hd 5970 is a 650w corsair PSU enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neeseius

I just upgraded from my old x58 system to x99. My current Corsair 650w PSU powered my old system which was
core i7-920 @ 3.2Ghz - 6GB ram - Radeon HD 5970 (dual GPU card from 2009)

but now i'll be running
core i7-5820k - 16gb ram - same video card

I run 9 120mm fans. samsung 850 pro, 500gb WD HD

From what I'm finding online I feel like my PSU might be right on the fence in terms of powering my new rig. I may wait to OC the processor until I get a better PSU if my current one is insufficient .

If you're overclocking then you may be pushing it, at stock you should be fine. That said, if the corsair is a bit aged you may want to think of replacing it anyway.

I got a Kil-a-watt reader to plug into the wall. I ran furmark and prime95 on my current (old) system, maxing out both my CPU and GPU and it maxed out at 420W. 80% of that is only 336W so I THINK I don't even need a new PSU to OC the new setup. I'll test it again once I build it and update this thread.

Well the TDP of the old processor is 130w the new one is 140w, so you should be good if left at stock settings. Like I said though if you Oc or that Psu is getting long in the tooth you may want to replace it.

Back