• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 V's i5 540m RealBench benchmarka + Relevance of HT in video rendering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Hello all, sitting ildly bored, I decided to do a "game of VerSus™"

i7 [email protected] HT on (4c/8t)
View attachment 196011

Vs
i7 920@4 HT off(4/4)
View attachment 196012

Vs
Laptop i5 [email protected] HT on(2/4):shock::shock::rolleyes::rofl::clap:
View attachment 196013

Video rendering speed increases with HT enabled. Ultra funny thing is 3.6ghz being slower by 400mhz(11%slower), still outperforms 4ghz setup thanks to HyperThread

Please appreciate this table, as it took me 3 hours to generate this table and half the evening to gather results.

View attachment 196024

Thank you

Last edited:
Did you have GPU acceleration turned on for any of the systems when you ran this?

Ok that is what I figured this will change how your results are reported as the systems have different gpus I assume.

Added new content, somewhat moving in different direction from RealBench, but because it's same speed comparisons, I decided to add it here and not waste opening new thread.

From these tests, you can see that HT provides significant performance increase, in some cases as much as 25%, depending on format chosen. Only place we don't see any difference from HT is rendering 1080 HDV clip to DVD quality mpeg-2

Now I know this is not totally complete set of tests, but TACO TIRED! and you get general idea that you need to love HT when working video:)

When you did the mpeg-2 transcoding did you take a look at what the thread usage looked like? Where all 8 threads being used at 100% I'm wondering if there program is not optimized for HT while doing that transcoding or if there is something inherent about mpeg-2 transcoding that likes pure speed over extra cores.

Yes I was watching them in task manager. They fluctuate 80-90-100-75...it's very rarely peggged to 100%, but spends a lot of time above 50%. Mpeg-2 is somewhat older dinosaur, so it's probably not taking full advantage of HT.

Handbrake otoh, has cpu in 199% all the time, but that one probably does mpg4 or avchd of some sort, newer stuff

could be just vegas movie studio hd (10?) not optimised because wmv rendering is same story

Adding another set of results from x5670:cheers: 4ghz

View attachment 202796

looks like encoding and multitasking benchmarks benefit the most due to more cores and threads! Image editing doesn't budge much vs 920 4ghz. IPC is similar.

Back