• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-950 Insanely high temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiptonSu

Registered
Hey,

I've recently did a RAM upgrade from 6GB of patriot DDR3 1600mhz to 12GB of Corsair Dominator 1600mhz. For some reason, after the upgrade my CPU temps were insanely high, reaching about 94 degrees at max load. I thought it was the RAM but the temperatures were still the same after i switched back to my original RAM. My max load temp before was around 69 degrees. I'm currently using a Corsair H60 liquid cooler.

Things I've tried: Repositioning the cooler and reapplying thermal paste (tried this 2 times).

Remount the bracket and get rid of everything that is in contact with the CPU.

I didn't really move anything yet the temperatures just suddenly went berserk. I'm not sure if the pump is broken but the fan seems to be running fine. How can I tell if the pump is broken or not?

Any possible solutions is welcomed.

I'm currently running an i7-950 on a Asus Rampage Gene III LGA1366 motherboard.

Thanks.

How would I check this? I haven't touched any of the settings, the settings shouldn't change itself should they? I did add a RAM fan if that has to do anything with the CPU temps.

I did try to bend the 2 tubes on the H60 a bit since they were blocking my RAM fan. I didn't use much force but could that be causing the problem?

The fluid might not be circulating though the system correctly.
Could be getting restricted by a crimped tube.

Is the pump making any grumbling noises?

I pretty much only hear the fans of my computer. Don't really hear any grumbling noises :/

I pretty much can't do anything except surf the web without having the temperatures go to 90c

Sadly I'm living at residence for school right now so I don't. But I tried restarting my computer, and upon start up I heard a squeak for about a second. Could that be the squeak that you're referring to causing the fluid to not flow correctly?

Possibly.

If i were you....
I'd switch the pc off until i can test it with a different cpu cooler.

Surely you can pick up a cheap air cpu cooler from a local store tomorrow?

Yeah, I was planning on getting a corsair H80. Do you think that would be good? Is there anyway I can fix the H60 problem?

Could be a thermistor glitch - system is reading incorrect temps.

Do you have an overclock?

You can tell if the pump is working by touching the radiator and seeing hot warm/hot it is.

Check the voltage of your chip, I know sometimes ASUS if you set settings to Auto it will do something crazy, I have seem Auto set my ram to 2.0v which was not very fun.

H80 is a good basic water cooler, if you're going to upgrade it's not a bad choice.

Since I'm not doing any overclocking, do you think it's necessary to get a H80? Or would the stock Intel cooler be good enough.

For some reason when I run RealTemp to check my temperatures, my clock speed ranges from 1600MHz - 3200MHz. Before the number would stay fixed at 3.07GHz o_O

I tried touching the liquid cooling block (the thing that's mounted on the CPU) and it doesn't seem to get hotter even when the temperature of the CPU is at 99c. In fact it seems a bit cool.

The 2 tubes on the other hand feel warm and the block against the fan (I think this is the radiator) seems fairly cool as well.

I'm starting to think its actually something messed with my BIOS reading wrong temperatures. When I stress it and it goes to 100c and I touch the block that's mounted on top of my CPU, its not even warm, it actually feels cool.

Yeah, I was planning on getting a corsair H80. Do you think that would be good? Is there anyway I can fix the H60 problem?

Firstly we need to find out if it is actually the h60 or not, which is why i suggested buying a cheap AIR cpu cooler, one with just a fan and heatsink.

If the temps are normal while using the air cpu cooler then we know the problem is the h60.

One step at a time m'laddo.

Yeah, I'm going to try using the stock fan this weekend and I'll let you know the results when I get them.

Back