• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 950 with H50 to hot??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

REal953

I just build a new rig and im a bit worried about how hot my CPU is running. I have been told the i7 runs hot but im normally around 41 idle and 46c under a moderate load. I have a new Corsair H50 cooler and it seems to be working alright. The CPU is not not overclocked at all so im a bit worried. any thoughts?

28arwo8.png.jpg

Or better yet RealTemp.

What are your ambient temps?
My wifes 920 with H50 idles just under 40*c and tops just over 70*c after 20min 100%load. Her 920 is OC'd to 3.8 though 1.27v

I'm OCed to 3.8, idle 39-45, consistent 15C above ambient. Load usually tops out low-mid 70s. And that's with dual 38mm 2700RPM fans on a VenX.

The H50 is known to have a bad stock fan, it's just not good enough for the rad. The H50 does much better with high static pressure fans.

What's your Prime95 load temps look like?

I am currently using a dual fan configuration on the H50 venting the air out of the case. One of the fans is the stock one that came with the H50 and im willing to change it if you think it would make a difference.

Something also worth mentioning is the H50 has a very faint clicking sound from time to time normally right after start up and it goes away after its been on for a few minutes. I don't think this is a big deal because my friend has a similar build with a 920 and an H50 and he also has the same clicking sound from time to time with no overheating problems.

I have not run Prime95 yet do to some time constrictions but here are the results after running the EVGA CPU burner at 100% for 20 min.
dp7ib5.png.jpg

It's best if you change the fans... with current rig, idling at 30-32c and 58-60c load. Around 74-76c when running ibt or prime95.

Yea, get some good ones, you can slow them down when you don't need the cooling.

I hate to say, and it's said a lot by many here who know this stuff, you can't beat physics. The H50 isn't magic. It's a very small rad and to compensate you need BIG fannage.

Real WC setups use no less than twice the rad size, and the pumps and blocks are much more efficient, not to mention the rad. You get what you pay for for sure.

I am going to get some new fans, I just ran prime95 for a bit over an hour and the highest core hit 66c but they normally stayed around 61c. I would like to run it longer but I cant. Even with my temps I shouldn't run into any performance issues correct?

Back