• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 RAC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

razorface

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any idea what kind of RAC the new i7's put out? Anyone built one yet? Is there still a FSB multiplier even though the MC is onboard? Questions, questions. Hey, just got an idea... I can search SETI for processor type and see if there are any i7's there.
Happy Holidays, everyone!

Bill

I looked at the 'top computers' list on SETI and saw several i7's, but they all showed 8 CPUs, so I deduced these were dual CPU motherboards. The highest was Helli, with a RAC of 11,507, running dual i7 940s. Divided by 2 this is only 5753/chip. I was expecting higher. Oh well, guess I'll just have to build one. (when the MBs come down) (and the DD3 comes down)!

Because of hyperthreading a Core i7 can work on 8 threads at once thus boinc sees 8 CPUs. I'm pretty sure thats a single chip rig with insane RAC.

Because of hyperthreading a Core i7 can work on 8 threads at once thus boinc sees 8 CPUs. I'm pretty sure thats a single chip rig with insane RAC.

Yep, that's my take also. The i7 procs have hyperthreading, so the client should see them as having 8 cores. That's some insane RAC, for sure! :thup:

wow, the rac of the 940 is double that of the Q6600
is that insane or what? i wonder what clocks hes got em at, or if their at stock IO_OI

Duh! So thats what hyperthreading is! I thought it was just some Intel BS!
Now, if the 940 is putting out 11738, and the highest RAC on SETI (a dual Xeon E5462) is putting out 11844, I wonder what a i7 965 will do? I saw it just dropped to $999.99.

And for the cost of an Intel 940 you could buy 2x Q6600s - almost 3x ...

But, when you figure power draw and cooling, i7 saves money for the amount of rac it puts out.

And just for ***** and giggles I priced up an Neha system last night (mobo/cpu and ram) and it came to around $700 or so, with a 920 and the Biostar board and an OCZ triple ram kit.

But, I won't buy this anytime soon myself. First, I want to see how P2 actually performs and I am still very happy with the performance of my QX system.

Back