• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I9 7980XE with CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 280 PRO, Prime95 BLEND reach 100C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOne_Emperor

Registered
Just got my hands on the CM MasterLiquid 280PRO, try to run the Prime95 BLEND stress test and the temp of my CPU reach 100C! (as shown in Realtemp 3.7.0)

On some of the hardware review site they mentioned with the 280PRO even they run PRIME95 the temp never pass 81C.

Took it off and mount it again for 2 times but the result is still the same.

Any idea? could it be the cooler wasn't seated probaly?? Maybe it is not as easy as I thought?

My PC setup as shown below:

CPU: Intel I9 7980XE, OC'ed to 4.2 (sync all cores), Vcore 1.2V.
MB: ASUS R6E
Cooler: CM MasterLiquid 280PRO (Both fans were set to performance mode for maximum cooling)
Stress test: Prime95 Blend
Idle Temp: 41c

Max Temp: 100C (5 mintues after the PRIME95 blend stress test)

At 1.2V it will reach 100°C. I overclock my 7900X at 1.20-1.25V max on water having much better cooling and it reaches 85-90°C under full load.
Set 1.1V and check how far it will go. I bet that higher than the 4.2GHz.

grab a flash light and shine it so that you can see if the block is making good contact with the cpu. i cant imagine it being a bad mount but you never know.
are you sure the block is covering the entire cpu ihs? check this by pulling the block and checking the paste spread and if possible take a pic.
also what is the ambient room temps your running at?
are your fans running at 100% when your running the blend test? if not make sure they are. dont count on the software doing it.
are your fans exhausting air out of the case?
are you sure the review site ran the same cpu? thats a lot of hot cores to cool.

after looking at some reviews i would suggest returning it and either going with a better performing 280 or a solid 360 aio. if you have the room also check out one of noctuas d14/d15 options.
i hate to say it but that cooler just isnt a good cooling option for that cpu :(

At 1.2V it will reach 100°C. I overclock my 7900X at 1.20-1.25V max on water having much better cooling and it reaches 85-90°C under full load.
Set 1.1V and check how far it will go. I bet that higher than the 4.2GHz.
Still reach 100c with 1.1v, good thing is now I know 1.1v is stable enough to OC my CPU to 4.2Ghz... but still hits 100C under the BLEND stress test.

grab a flash light and shine it so that you can see if the block is making good contact with the cpu. i cant imagine it being a bad mount but you never know.
are you sure the block is covering the entire cpu ihs? check this by pulling the block and checking the paste spread and if possible take a pic.
also what is the ambient room temps your running at?
are your fans running at 100% when your running the blend test? if not make sure they are. dont count on the software doing it.
are your fans exhausting air out of the case?
are you sure the review site ran the same cpu? thats a lot of hot cores to cool.

after looking at some reviews i would suggest returning it and either going with a better performing 280 or a solid 360 aio. if you have the room also check out one of noctuas d14/d15 options.
i hate to say it but that cooler just isnt a good cooling option for that cpu :(

Ambient temp is around 24c, quite busy today therefore will try to mount it again later.
I will upload some photos later but I am quite sure the airflow should be good enough since I am using the CM Tower case which comes with the fans by default.
Also which software can I check if my fans are running at 100c?

The review site I found was testing the same CPU, I will try to find it again and post it here for reference.

Thanks

41 C idle with a 25 C ambient doesn't sound right.

Do you have good airflow in the case?

Is the radiator set as intake or exhaust?

If you have the radiator as exhaust, do you have enough intake fans brining cool external air?

Not saying its exactly like my case but it could very well be a mounting issue and no fault to your own. It could be because of the stock mounting system.

I did have good contact from the TIM results of my block on my CPU but temps where WAAAAY out of the park. High idle and extremely high or irradic load temps. What I found out was that my supplied mount just wasn't up to the task to keep the board from flexing the whole CPU socket back. Had a mount from the previous heatsink that allowed preasure on the back side of the CPU mounting system so it wouldn't move. Fixed temps immediately with fantastic results. Now I only got a little old 6700k but it might help out in your case too.

Another thing to maybe check is to see if you can tighten up the mounting system more. See if you can get a few spacers on the back of the board to get more pressure on the block/IHS. Might work if the board isn't flexing any.

That idle temp looks too high to me. I wonder if you have a bad mount. I would remove the pump/water block and check the spread pattern of the TIM. maxfly suggested that you check the mating of the water block with the CPU face using a flashlight but you didn't respond to his suggestion. An alternate way to check the same thing is to carefully remove the pump/water block and check the pattern of the TIM spread.

Back