• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I9-9900k on Dark rock pro 4 results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMechanic124

Registered
Hello,

I am wondering what other people are getting from a Dark rock 4 on this cpu... I am barely keeping it under control under auto voltage, with auto vrm settings . If I enable load line calibration to try a mild overclock to 5ghs on all cores, it shoots up to over 90 degrees in prim95 , and I see throttling happening due to high temps...

I know it's a fairly hot cpu, but the cooler is one of the best, so... I bought some of that oil snake magic paste Grizzly Kryonaut to try next, maybe my aging AS 5 is no longer up to scratch.... I'll report back if any change.

I was thinking of going to water cooling , a 360mm radiator (nothing less) to overcome this and maybe get ready for a 10900 10 core cpu? But that involves changing the case also, so I am a bit hesitant to do it.

Many thanks for any feedback...

A work mate has a 9700K on a DRP4 and he loads in the 80s running his adobe stuff. Seems like it makes the perfect stock cooler for it. Mind you he is using a quiet system that could use some more airflow. I think it’s just a hot cpu.

1. The OP has a 9900K.. a really hot CPU compared to the 9700K.
2. The heatsink has seven heat pipes according to the webpage for the cooler.

Although this isn't a 9900K under the hood, we can see middling performance of heatsink in reviews.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/be_quiet_dark_rock_pro_4_review,2.html

It should still be able to handle a 9900K at stock speeds and some overclock. P95 small FFT is quite tough on a CPU and overclocked, top notch air or 2x120mm+ AIO/water is the only thing that can tame it like that really...

I also believed this cooler should handle some mild overclock; at least reducing the avx instrucions to -1, so all my cores run at 4900 instead of 4800... but then I have to step up the load line calibration and it pushes it into the 90's and throttling starts happening... weird.

Makes sense that it’s running warm. 9900K max TDP is 250w @ stock clocks is it not? BeQuiet says that is the TDP of that cooler. Looks like it’s maxed out to me..

I also believed this cooler should handle some mild overclock; at least reducing the avx instrucions to -1, so all my cores run at 4900 instead of 4800... but then I have to step up the load line calibration and it pushes it into the 90's and throttling starts happening... weird.
Is it current limit throttling? Check by running your stress test of choice with Intel XTU up and look at the bottom.

What motherboard do you have? List system specs/create a signature with them, please. :)

Is it current limit throttling? Check by running your stress test of choice with Intel XTU up and look at the bottom.

What motherboard do you have? List system specs/create a signature with them, please. :)

Thanks for the feedback; it is not limiting right now, but if I aim for the mildest overclock, it starts to shoot up and throttle down... as per latest hwinfo64. I will try the intel xtu; also did a signature with specs...

OK, I am not sure what happens here. Even on all stock voltages, auto settings, it is throttling down. It hits 99 degrees on some cores, and throttling happens. all voltages are on auto, svid off, load line calibrations to auto. This should not happen...

allright, this cpu is just hot. I dropped the cpu voltage to Normal from auto, reduced load line calibration and ac/dc line calibration from auto to normal / power saving, and it is better. In low 90s but no longer throttling. This mobo is just sending too much voltage...

Try manually setting the voltage to 1.275V and whatever llcevel keeps it there under load. See if that works.

Try manually setting the voltage to 1.275V and whatever llcevel keeps it there under load. See if that works.

I tried that, but this mobo and cpu combo does not like static voltages for some reason... it keeps crashing for anything under 1.3 .. and there it's just too hot. I hate Gygabite, never again. I always bought Asus, but this Aorus line got great reviews so here I am. I swear it will be the last one.

Are you on the latest BIOS? Make sure you are. If you are and can roll back, try that too. Consider reaching out to Giga as well and see what they say... likely the following...

Maybe get a better cooler. Perhaps that one is failing (hole in the heat pipe?? - no clue).

I don't think it's the mobo, honestly...unless there is actually something wrong with it.

Are you on the latest BIOS? Make sure you are. If you are and can roll back, try that too. Consider reaching out to Giga as well and see what they say... likely the following...

Maybe get a better cooler. Perhaps that one is failing (hole in the heat pipe?? - no clue).

I don't think it's the mobo, honestly...unless there is actually something wrong with it.

Thank you. I am on the latest bios, and behavior did not change from the previous one. To test the airflow on my case, I removed the side panel, and temps dropped only by 1-3 degrees, each core is different as we know. So my case flow is good... It's one of those old Antec cases with a big top 200mm fan which sucks (i.e. is an exhaust ) air, and 2 intakes at the hard drives, one exhaust fan behind the cpu cooler.
I will also try that Kryonaut paste next, maybe my ageing Arctic Silver 5 is no longer up to scratch? I noted it was very thick when I applied it, was purchased about 4 years ago...

Funny. After an experience with an As.s MB, I have tried to avoid the brand.

As for case airflow, you can cut out the rear grill and tape the cut edges with a thick tape like Gorilla Tape. Won't cool a hot chip, though.

OK, I owe all an update. I bought a new cooler, Noctua NH-D15, and used Kryonaut to install it... surprise surprise... small FFT test is now at 84 degrees as opposed to throttling down at times as it was peaking to 100.

My cooler was in fact dark rock pro 3, not 4. Installation is so hard, but I did re-seat once thinking I might not have done right. so there you go. Anyone wants a FREE dark rock pro 3, let me know. Pickup in Newton, MA.

The Noctua NH-D15 is one helluva cooler. So long as you have fresh air feeding it, it will tame even the savage of hot cpu's. I've a DRP3 and used it on an old AMD FX 8350 and it did pretty well. I added 2 140mm fans in push/pull which helped alot.

Your temps sounds about right to me for that chip on air. You could try enhancing airflow through the case to it, but it's still a furnace CPU.

The heatsink is rated for 250W TDP, but I really think that means sitting on a test bench in cool air and running the fans 100%.

Your temps sounds about right to me for that chip on air. You could try enhancing airflow through the case to it, but it's still a furnace CPU.

The heatsink is rated for 250W TDP, but I really think that means sitting on a test bench in cool air and running the fans 100%.

thanks yeah, it is . Since I swapped to the Noctua D15 cooler, it is much better. It is now sitting at 5 Ghz (avx -2) no problem at 1.275 v. with Auto AC/dc line calibration, and turbo for load ...
I can prime all day, small fft's and it never throttles down.

Sounds like you solved it.

I ran the DRP4 on my 8086k with adequate case airflow. It was good up to about 200W. Any more than that and I just got thermal runaway.

It's not a bad heatsink by any stretch, but every HSF has its practical limitations.

Back