• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IBM POWER architecture. Cores or CPUs? Help me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youraegis02

Hello, I found Ebay listing of old POWER 7+ server and seller state that it has dual socket and 16 CPUs and 64 cores. Is that correct? I though it should be 2 CPUs, 16 cores and 64 threads...at least that is what I got used to in Intel.
Any thoughts?:confused:

Here is the listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/324011902590

so it is dual socket 2 CPU 8 core per each = 16 cores and not 16 CPUs, right?

Looking at the wikipedia article Power7 is using multi-chip modules, the same tech Intel is using for some of it's mobile chips to add the eDram or the Intel chips with vega graphics. There are up to four distinct CPUs on the package that plugs into a socket.
So maybe there are 4x2 = 8 CPUs?

Last edited by a moderator:
The seller obviously doesn't understand the difference between a core and a thread, but the description very clearly says 2 x 8 CPU modules. The listing also has the model number, and Wikipedia clearly tells you that model number is 2 sockets, 16 cores. All this information is right there on the listing page. What are you asking?

The seller obviously doesn't understand the difference between a core and a thread, but the description very clearly says 2 x 8 CPU modules. The listing also has the model number, and Wikipedia clearly tells you that model number is 2 sockets, 16 cores. All this information is right there on the listing page. What are you asking?

Thank you. I am asking about does it have 16 CPU or 2 CPU ? During LPAR configuration via IBM HMC the system says: "Total usable processing units" = 16 (on the screen it says 20 because it is from another machine). Or maybe IBM mean that is not central processing units?
What do you think?
Lpar.PNG

No idea on that pricing. Look at sold listings for the same item and see what they sold at.

I am not sure how this auction works but yesterday server costs 520 usd and now just 300! Seems that auction will end today.

Back