• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-G Raid 0 help plz..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unwrittenLaw

I'm new to setting up raid...

I have an IC7-G, w/ latest bios and 2 WD 80GB 8mb hard disks
I'm using the pata to sata converters on each then they are connected to sata1 and sata2 connectors on the mobo. All the power connectors are hooked up on the sata converters and the HD's are also hooked up correctly. I also have sata raid enabled in the BIOS...but when I boot up...I can not get into the raid menu via ctrl+s or F4...it says that primary and secondary channels are not found. I'm trying to do a fresh install of WinXP on the raid 0 setup, but I can't even get into the raid configuration menu....Can someone tell me what i'm missing or any tips...

Thanks...

Also, i'm confused about ide or sata w/ raid....

Can I use raid 0 w/ just the onboard ide channels....Or, do i have to use the pata to sata converters with the onboard sata...

Since I dont have true sata drives i was wondering....I dont care if i use the sata to pata converter or not....I would just like to get raid 0 setup....

thanks

No, IC7 does indeed not support PATA RAID, but he's using
PATA --> SATA conversters...

However: It HAS to be Serillel2 (or another Sil3611 based) converter!! This is not optional!

Which converters are u using UnwrittenLaw?

Edit: This is for the Intel RAID controller (SATA 1&2) ON SATA's 3-6, any converter will do.

I have the serielle 2 converter that came w/ my IC7-G...and the other one came w/ my NF7-S...but I think its an older version of serielle converter...would that cause problems...?

So I set both HD's as master..?

Oh, and this is all w/ the onboard Intel raid chip...should i try using the silicon pci raid?

thanks

"but I think its an older version of serielle converter"

There's one smoking gun, right there ;)

It HAS to be the Serillel2 converter for the intel raid chip!

You can use both Serillel0 and 2 (and almost all other converters) on the Silicon PCI Raid.

Using SATA 1+2 is faster though, as it goes directly via the southbridge, whereas the Silicon is PCI-based....

ok i jumpered both drives in single mode...connected them to ide channel 1...set the correct options in the bios for the onchip raid...saved, rebooted...hit ctrl i to get to the raid setup, and when i try and create raid volume, it gives an error:

not enough non-raid disks available to create volume..??

any suggestions...i'm lost...i tried following all your tips..but no luck so far...

will pata work on the ich5r raid...or do i have to use pata w/ the silicon pci raid..?

thanks

You can't run the RAID off of the IDE channels!

You'll have to use either SATA 1+2 or 3+4....(1+2 being the preferred ones, due to higher transfer speeds)

Thats what you need the PATA --> SATA converters for!

Back