• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE being treated as SCSI..uhh little help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

ok guys i posted about osme hard drives dying, when it turns out they werent dead at all. i have a gigabyte GA-7DXPDW. it has 4 ide channels.

well i was using the 3rd and 4th as just IDE channels. id always have a hdd on there wiht linux, so windows never saw it. well lately, i needed the extra hdd space so i put a win32 drive...big mistake..i got CONSTANT TIMEOUT ERRORS the whole computer did nothing but freeze.

i thoguht it was the drive, so i swapped it, then the cables, then i started moving things around. same problem. Linux has no problems running off of these channels...it works like a charm...so i tried putting a CDROM on there hoping thatd give results...sure it did, the result is i cant use my CDROM on that channel, it just freezes.

so i really dont know what to do guys. is it because im using the IDE channels as IDE and not RAID? thanks in advance.

mmhhmm

the thing is, it works for like an hour, then it goes into this fit. so id blame heat right?

but instead, it works PERFECTLY FINE in linux, not lag, nothing. worths perfectly fine. ive done the reinstall windows routine...contacted gigabyte..

try setting your hard drives to never turn off in the "power" settings in the screen saver tab.

but, then they won't power down when inactive (which is only good if you have your computer on for long durations and access the drives rarely)

Back