• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If anyones wondering what 3x 7970s draw in a watercooled rig...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stewart@MSD

Hi everyone,
I have read all sorts of power figures for a trifire 7970 setup in mags and on websites so decided to buy my own meter and measure it myself to ensure PSU was not causing any bottlenecks here, so the answer is....

991wMedium.jpg

Tests were:

Heaven 2.5 @ 1920 x 1080 with everything at full and that never saw in excess of 850w.

3D mark 11 on extreme didnt exceed 935.

3D mark vantage interestingly was the one that will repeatedly peaked at almost a kw on the return to jerico scene.

Rig of course is totally relevant, so here it is:
Mobo: Asus Maximus Extreme IV - Z
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
GPU: 3 x Sapphire Radeon 7970's
RAM: 16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz
SSD: 2x OCZ Vertex 3 Sata 6 SSD
HDD 2x 1TB Western Digital Velociraptors
PSU: XFX Pro 1250w Black gamer Edition
Optical: Pioneer 12x Blu Ray Combo Drive
Pump: Alphacool VPP655 - D5 Pump
Fans 120mm: 3 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM - AP15s on the radiator.
fans 140mm: 3x Corsair 140mm fans around the chassis.
Lighting: LED's and a UV inverter so far.

Just thought it may help people in future who are wondering the same thing.

Eyefinity testing at 5760x1200 in battlefield three with all settings at ultra will be the next test... if we ever get a driver that lets me run trifire with BF3. :(

**Edit**
Sorry, to add, the CPU is running at 5.2ghz and the GPUs all at 1125 with ram @ 1575

5.2Ghz?! nice! Is that 24/7 or for benching?

So now, take that number and multiply it by your efficiency, and there is a more accurate(ish, its a KillaWatt) number. So if its 90% efficient, take 1KW (i know you didnt hit that but its easy math) 1000*.9 = 900W actual.

Back