• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IIS access denied issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

So we recently upgraded one of our apps at work that has a web front end. It got setup as a virtual directory on an existing web server. Old version worked ok. New one not so much. I'm getting an access denied message. Most searches seem to point to asp.net permissions. We created a seperate app pool and have tried running it as nework service, local system, and local service as well as a custom user we registered with iis and added to admin group (I know not safe for real use but we're testing). We're close to uninstalling iis and reinstalling iis and trying to remember what we did for the other web app running on the server (email frontend).

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Error here:

Attachments

• iiserror.jpg
    iiserror.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 40
Have you checked permissions on the actual data area to verify that the appropriate permissions are applied (i.e. match the physical path credentials specified in the advanced settings of the site)?

I have set the app pool settings for asp.net to network service, local service and local system. (Local system from my understanding to be full privlidges for the most part - something you normally wouldn't use for a public facing site). We also tried making a user, giving it complete access to the directory the site is in, registering that user with asp.net and setting the user for asp but same error. We also completely uninstalled IIS, removed relevant directories then reinstalled. We set the site default to our email web and got the extensions set so we could run the dll the email site runs off of (and works fine again). Still can't get this app to work. The installer from the company that makes this web frontend is upping it to next level tech support so I figure maybe we'll hear from them by the end of next week. Still frustrating when everything I've googled about the error seems to suggest asp permission stuff we have already tried.

Back