• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm a Gamer, go Wired or Wireless?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think any MP game would be fine, save for maybe some MMORPG's that you constantly have to read/write server-side files from/to, like EQ2... which might be a little laggy.

If you are the only gamer in the house, I would definately get wireless (with one wired connection going from the router to your pc). Most wireless routers also function as a normal wired router. This way you can have the benefit of no performance problems that are associated with poor wireless connections, yet still have the freedom of no wires for the other pc's / laptops in your house.

That really depends on the connection I guess. My dad surfs the web and my brother and I both play UT at the same time and our ping really doesn't move around that much. It is usually higher because of the server rather than our connection. I think that the usual ping for me on a good server is around 70 but with mtb and I playing on a busy server it goes to around 110 or so. Most of that is the server though because we can both play on a 70 ping if it's on a "full game" not demo server.

even for MMORPG's i get no lag what so ever. for anything other than transfering big files across a network, wireless has the same performace as wired. IMO

Wireless = Add an extra 3-5ms to your ping time with a good signal. Add an extra 5-50ms on a bad signal.

Wired = Trip on a lead and die.

LOL :D That's awesome.

Funny because the reason I had to go wireless is 1) because I wanted a lappie anyway 2) My mom was about to throttle me because the cable was stretching from my room, across the front doorway, and into my brothers room with the router :D literally Final Destination waiting to happen.

yea i have the same sort of off the wall thing going on....so the other week when our belkin router crapped out i had to hit up wal*mart because my house is one of those 0 downtime places...well i try to keep it that way as much as possible....anyways my dad bitched about wires and said he wanted wireless....we argued...i found the meager tech isle in wal*mart to see only wireless routers..... so now we have a linksys wireless router with a completely wired set of connections running through it.

Either way i still love my wired, definately cheaper, and faster during large file transfering and such. I would be optimistic to try wireless but i hear that it can be a real pain in the bum. and with its 100meter possible length you can definately out run a wireless connection on it. but of course if you go wireless you shouldnt need a switch to have more ports or to split the connection off in a certain area of the building

100% get a wireless router. That's a no brainer. That way you have the expandability, and if you get say a laptop, you can surf the net while chilling next to the pool. Definitely wire your xbox and pc, but I'd suggest looking into plates for your walls. If you just drill a hole, it'll be kind of ugly, not to mention it'd have to be big enough to fit the plastic part of the cable through (brainfart: can't remember its name). You could take it off, but it's still an ugly hole.

Here's what I would recommend getting:
http://www.cat5ecableguy.com/incakeco.html OR http://www.cat5ecableguy.com/cat5eenkeywa.html

Then cover it with this:
http://www.cat5ecableguy.com/1holefaceplate.html

The prices are excellent, you probably won't spend more than $10. If you need any help with that, go to home depot! or just ask me

After some more research: You'll also need buy a wire box to hold A) the wires, and B) the plate that the jack goes into. That also means you have to find a stud in your wall to nail it to which is a pain unless you have one of the gizmos that'll find studs. Then nailing it is almost impossible unless you rip your wall off. Another option would be to just drill a slightly bigger hole and put some anchors in the wall then put the plate directly over that.

Last edited:
ataturk said:
Wireless = Add an extra 3-5ms to your ping time with a good signal. Add an extra 5-50ms on a bad signal.

Wired = Trip on a lead and die.

lol. I only wish i could have persuaded by housemates to go wireless - i had to wire up all 6 bedrooms last september :confused:

personally i would go wired tho, since you probably dont have 6 desktops and it is relatively easy to lay. Also you'll have a marginally better ping when playing online and you wil have better security.

D.L

lol, 3-5 ms... OH NO lol, i just think thats funny becuase that ammount of time isn't even measureable(except by computers). i personally don't think that any one will notice 3-5ms of time.... unless your a freak about your ping times.... 5ms is 1/200th of a second (1000ms=1sec) you won't notice a difference in playing online games or network games unless you have a crappy wireless router. security and LAN file transfer and the only down sides of wireless that i can see. i think its funny everyone freaks out about 5-10ms, can someone please count to 5ms for me??? lol, i wanna hear someone try.

if you are a gamer you will get a wired connection, why simple wirless sometimes disconects itself whenever is needed or gets interupted. Getting wireless router is a good solution as well, both wireless and wired options are available.

meionm said:
if you are a gamer you will get a wired connection, why simple wirless sometimes disconects itself whenever is needed or gets interupted. Getting wireless router is a good solution as well, both wireless and wired options are available.
one question, are you saying im not a serious gamer since i use a wireless connection as my primary internet/LAN connection?

3-5ms is total BS. I've run CS wireless with 140+ ping. Wired I get 70 and below. For an average, I'd say wireless 100, wired, 65

Back