• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm trying to put windows xp on a pc that is already dual booting ubuntu and win

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I have a pc with 1 hard drive that "dual boots" Ubuntu and Win 7 on it and it runs fine. I have a legal copy of Win Xp that I wanted to try and put on this pc as well. I loaded it from the disk, every time it finishes loading and tries to start up win XP it BSOD. Is it possible to for lack of a better term, "triple boot" all 3 operating systems on the primary hard drive?

W7 should be the last thing you install and let its boot manager do the work. Im guessing that XP's boot manager just isnt liking things. Either that or is the drive in AHCI mode or IDE?

It's in AHCI, can I not use Windows XP in AHCI ED? Also Windows 7 was installed 1st and then Ubuntu, it's using GRUB Boot loader, correct me if that is the wrong term, I'm new to this Linux thing.

No I installed both win 7 and ubuntu while in AHCI and then tried to install Win XP with it in AHCI as well. All the programs were installed on a clean hd within the last week.

SO change the BIOS to IDE then install Win XP. Ok I'll try it, I'll report back in a week when it finishes installing :p

Changing it to IDE should get it to install... or try that post install fix I linked (Id do that first). Problem will then be the boot manager...cross your fingers you can see all three OS's with installing XP last.

There are boot manager apps, but I am at a loss to name any. Its been covered before here a bit so take the time to search the forums to find it. :)

Thanks ED and Pettey what I'm trying to accomplish is to be able to have or run XP on this machine along with Win 7 and Ubuntu. It's not that I needed xp to run certain programs, I was trying to see if I could get my 955BE to do PiFast faster someone said that it maight run fast in Win XP?

For benching, not sure you want that extra overhead of 'XP mode'. Im not sure what it does, but any differences an OS can make, can potentially be squashed with running one of the 'modes'.

Well here is where I stand, formatted the partition where ubuntu was and installed xp then reinstalled ubuntu. Now when I boot it gives me the option of ubuntu and win 7, when I click win 7 it loads into XP. Win 7 is still on the hd and I see it when I go into my computer. Is there a way for me to get the boot loader to see Win 7 also? Should I just start all over load XP then Ubuntu and then Win 7?

Never heard of that program, I'm reinstalling everything like I said in post 12. I didn't have any data to lose so not big deal. If I can't get it to work I'll try that program. Thanks for the help all.

Back