• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the market for a netbook

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am still going to say that the 1000he has the best keyboard of all. Just tested an Acer Aspire and MSI wind. 1000he blows both out of the water. The extra FN key to the right of the up arrow is a great addition and comes in handy.

But in all honesty, if your using your tiny little netbook to play 1080p... You should really be in a different market. I can understand 720p or 1080p playback to a HD screen (In this case I would use a HTPC). But not on this tiny 10" screen. 700MB rips still look great when your sitting normally and not hunched over with your nose touching the screen...

I am still going to say that the 1000he has the best keyboard of all. Just tested an Acer Aspire and MSI wind. 1000he blows both out of the water...

I have tried the Acer Aspire One and I agree that its keyboard blows. I haven't tried the other two.

The best 10" netbook keyboard for several reviewers is the Samsung N120, which is 97% normal size. Samsung's trick is to make the chassis about 1/2" wider, but the weight is only 2.8lbs (compared to the 1000HE's 3.2lbs).

I think you're right about 1080p on a 10" netbook. The 1920x1080 resolution of 1080p far exceeds what any of these systems can display.

The thing about the Samsung is that it doesn't have that cool "chicklet" keyboard design which I love.

All be it, the 1000he's right shift key is a little smaller, but I never use it so I could care less

I have tried the Acer Aspire One and I agree that its keyboard blows. I haven't tried the other two.

The best 10" netbook keyboard for several reviewers is the Samsung N120, which is 97% normal size. Samsung's trick is to make the chassis about 1/2" wider, but the weight is only 2.8lbs (compared to the 1000HE's 3.2lbs).

I think you're right about 1080p on a 10" netbook. The 1920x1080 resolution of 1080p far exceeds what any of these systems can display.

the problem is that they are using a big keyboard but also big bezel around the screen, which can turn some people off. To many, a netbook isn't only about the weight but the size too.

I really don't see why people dislike the AspireOne US keyboard. It is the same layout as the samsung nc10 (which used it since it came out much later) which everyone loved.

I really don't see why people dislike the AspireOne US keyboard. It is the same layout as the samsung nc10 (which used it since it came out much later) which everyone loved.
For me, it was the size. My fingers were squished together. When I demoed it, I also demoed the HP Mini 1000. The HP, which is just a tad smaller than the NC10 keyboard, was much more comfortable than the Acer.

But in all honesty, if your using your tiny little netbook to play 1080p... You should really be in a different market. I can understand 720p or 1080p playback to a HD screen (In this case I would use a HTPC). But not on this tiny 10" screen. 700MB rips still look great when your sitting normally and not hunched over with your nose touching the screen...

The problem with this lies in the fact that one has to start with a 1080p rip, and then re-encode down to a smaller file size just to cater for the netbook. I'd like to be able to keep the original files, and simply transfer them to the netbook when I feel like it, with the only time consuming process being the actual transfer, not the hours (day?) worth of re-encoding. These netbooks are coming with 120GB+ hard drives with very minimal software installed. Even before removing the bloatware and unneeded system software, there is still plenty of space left to store a few stripped down BD rips with ease, which is how their stored on my HTPC in the first place.

The problem with this lies in the fact that one has to start with a 1080p rip, and then re-encode down to a smaller file size just to cater for the netbook. I'd like to be able to keep the original files, and simply transfer them to the netbook when I feel like it, with the only time consuming process being the actual transfer, not the hours (day?) worth of re-encoding. These netbooks are coming with 120GB+ hard drives with very minimal software installed. Even before removing the bloatware and unneeded system software, there is still plenty of space left to store a few stripped down BD rips with ease, which is how their stored on my HTPC in the first place.

I think you're SOL on a Netbook then, at least until NV makes an Ion netbook. Why not just get a cheapass older laptop?

Older laptops are normally larger then current netbooks, as well as underpowered (if you really go for one priced around current netbooks, you'r looking at something a number of years old), and/or still a higher cost even used then current netbooks. Alot of laptops only a year or two old, also have trouble with 720p video, let alone 1080p.

And yes, I do get regular emails from various online vendors with specials on laptops, which sometimes are very close in price to what netbooks are currently going for (most of the time refurbs...).

But I'm not looking for a laptop. I'm looking for a netbook.

Last edited:
Older laptops are normally larger then current netbooks, as well as underpowered (if you really go for one priced around current netbooks, you'r looking at something a number of years old), and/or still a higher cost even used then current netbooks. Alot of laptops only a year or two old, also have trouble with 720p video, let alone 1080p.

And yes, I do get regular emails from various online vendors with specials on laptops, which sometimes are very close in price to what netbooks are currently going for (most of the time refurbs...).

But I'm not looking for a laptop. I'm looking for a netbook.

Sounds more like you're looking for notebook power in a netbook form-factor. Netbooks weren't designed for what you want out of it.

Sounds more like you're looking for notebook power in a netbook form-factor. Netbooks weren't designed for what you want out of it.

I'm looking for something that can handle HD video, light gaming and web browsing/email and is small compared to a normal sized laptop. Like I said, I don't want to waste time (not to mention space) having to re-encode my collection of HD material (BD, animes, OTA HDTV, etc) just so that it can be played back on a portable device. If that were the case, I'd just re-encode everything I have now and use my Vision:M or Zen X-Fi for that. But again, that's not what I'm looking for.

I don't need the bulk, "horse power", or the hefty price tag of a laptop either, for something that is going to see minimal use. I could easily borrow my sisters laptop for that purpose and avoid the price altogether.

I simply want a very compact system that is to be used just for some simple tasks a few hours a week while I'm away from home, just trying to fall asleep, or to help pass the time with relaxing. I didn't get any of first netbooks released because I knew then that it would not meet my needs, and have since waited this long to finally start seriously looking for one because technology is finally catching up and netbooks are finally getting to the point of being able to playback HD material. Whether the screen resolution is capable of showing the entire resolution of the source material is irrelevant to me as my main concern is not having to re-encode the source material and not having something as big as a laptop.

There are plenty of grossly underpowered devices that can playback HD material simply because of a hardware based decoder built into the unit, so its not about having the power of a laptop (or desktop) in a netbook. Laptop and netbook manfacturers do no include such hardware and rely upon the built in "hardware video acceleration" functions of the video chip along with software to decode HD (and non-HD) video. And again as I stated, the hardware is finally catching up and becoming capable of doing so. Its just that I'm still up in the air about the current technology because reviews seem to go back and fourth, yay or nay, thumbs up or thumbs down, on what the current technology is really capable of when it comes to handling video playback. This seems to stem from no one (even some reviewers) being clear on what the source material is; trying to playback a BD movie from the disc, or trying to play a completely stripped down (no protection, no extra embedded video or audio streams) BD movie from the hard disk; as well as not being clear on what software and codecs are used.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is the power of a portable HD player in a netbook, not the power of a laptop in a netbook.

Sorry for this rant, but I feel like I'm being told to go buy a 360 when I'm asking about a Wii. If I wanted a 360, I'd ask about a 360 and not a Wii. Likewise if I wanted a laptop, I would have bought one ages ago. :beer:

Basically, the technology that you want is still being tested/manufactured/invented. Intel's new chipset supposedly supports 1080p playback. Nvidia's new chipset looks like it can handle intense 3d games on an iphone type package. Its getting there.

Give it a year or 2 and you will have the performance you want in the size and package you desire.

Right now the best we can offer you is 720p playback in a 10" netbook for ~$350. And even that isn't the best of quality.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is the power of a portable HD player in a netbook, not the power of a laptop in a netbook.

Sorry for this rant, but I feel like I'm being told to go buy a 360 when I'm asking about a Wii. If I wanted a 360, I'd ask about a 360 and not a Wii. Likewise if I wanted a laptop, I would have bought one ages ago. :beer:

Rant away, don't let me stop you. Point is, you don't want a netbook. That's not what they are designed for. You need to look at other devices, and also consider the fact you're posting in a thread about netbooks.

D'oh! I just went to click the buy button on an open box newegg 1000HE for $299, only to find that it was already out of stock.

Now I'm sad and disappointed.

As my second attempt at a killer deal laptop, I was just about to click the buy button on an 8.9" Acer Aspire One A150 laptop. I stopped seconds short of clicking the buy button to double check and confirm that I can upgrade the RAM on that netbook. It turns out the thing has 512MB of RAM soldered on and one extra slot. As the max ram for a netbook is 2GB, this one is capped out at 1.5Gb. Yet another deal breaker on a discount netbook.

As my second attempt at a killer deal laptop, I was just about to click the buy button on an 8.9" Acer Aspire One A150 laptop. I stopped seconds short of clicking the buy button to double check and confirm that I can upgrade the RAM on that netbook. It turns out the thing has 512MB of RAM soldered on and one extra slot. As the max ram for a netbook is 2GB, this one is capped out at 1.5Gb. Yet another deal breaker on a discount netbook.
I figured out what I wanted (10" Asus Eee 1000H) in advance and when I found it in the OCF classifieds for $250, I pounced in an instant. Keep and eye out there as they pop up and usually are a great deal.

Back