• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[INCOMPLETE THREAD]First build - Take two.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks Knuf and EarthDog, I've got the following components decided:
Case: Vengeance C70 Mil Green
PSU: TX750M
CPU: i5 Haswell 4670K
Mobo: AsRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX
Cooler: H100i
Disk drive: Whatever's on sale at the time
RAM: Undecided
HDD: Undecided
SDD: Undecided
GPU: Undecided, swaying toward a Radeon.

Btw, Thanks for swaying me to the newest yet again

Last edited:
4770K (4c/8t) or 4670K (4c/4t) are the choices there. Not sure what a 4850K is, LOL! You also need a Z87 based board, not Z77.

6 of one half dozen of the other really. You will just save some money.

Again, single 1920x1080 monitor, get a single card to avoid any potential hassles. For the ~$400 you will spend for two 660's, get a MSI 7970 with 4 free games (I reviewed that card, and liked it - has voltage control!). Yes, the two 660's will beat it a bit, but at 1080p, the 7970 POUNDS through today's games and also gives you an upgrade path to another 7970 in the short term future.

Are you gaming across those monitors or will one be a desktop while you game on the other? Its awfully weird, especially if you play FPS to have two monitors as the bezels will be right smack in the center of the viewing...

I am torn once again. GeForce or Radeon? Currently my lappy is running Intel HD3K and my old midtower has a Radeon 9600Pro 128MB in it, 'cause I never got the Sapphire 9600Pro 256MP to work. So I've got experience that the '04 radeons are beast for anything from that time. Should I stick with the Radeon that "runs in the blood" so to speak, or should I go for an nVid?

At your budget level, it's 7970 vs 770. 7970 is better bang/buck if you get a cheap non-GHz one and overclock it. Otherwise, 770.

7970 hands down for triple monitor imo. More ram and ram bandwidth which is needed for that resolution. ;)

Back