• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Incorrect drive name in explorer!???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

The following screenshot shows my problem best.

Untitled-26.png

As you can see my shared "S" drive on my fileserver should be labelled "Data". It is in drive manager and properties but explorer labels it as "pendrive"?...and I cannot seem to correct it :bang head

Not sure how this happened as the only USB pendrive used on this system is labelled "freecom" so god knows where the name pendrive came from :confused:

The OS is Windows Server 2008R2 x64

Last edited:
What happens if you right click on the PENDRIVE and select rename?

Are there any .inf files on the root of the disk that specify what the label is? You will have to turn off hidden files and folders and turn on show system files to be able to see them.

Are there any .inf files on the root of the disk that specify what the label is? You will have to turn off hidden files and folders and turn on show system files to be able to see them.

Nope, no files at all. Just the folders as in the screenshot. Show all hidden files etc is already enabled on my fileserver.

From doing seaches online, you are not alone with this issue. Since it is purely cosmetic in Explorer, I wouldn't worry about it. Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.

From doing seaches online, you are not alone with this issue. Since it is purely cosmetic in Explorer, I wouldn't worry about it. Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.

Yes it is just an annoyance at worst. Just seemed the sort of thing there would be a quick fix for :shrug:

Post the contents of the autorun.inf file on the root of the drive. The Label= line probably shows label=PENDRIVE, so you may need to delete it and then reboot.

S:\>Attrib -s -h -r autorun.inf
S:\>del autorun.inf

Just as a side note, that is the file I mentioned in my previous post.

Just as a side note, that is the file I mentioned in my previous post.

Sorry thiddy. It didn't show up in explorer even with the "show hidden files and folders" option enabled. So I didn't think I had one on my S: drive.

I just ran the commands redduc900 told me and all is well now :)

Back