• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Input to NewEgg Customer Service about combining reviews for "related products"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Input to NewEgg Customer Service about combining reviews for "related products"

"I am very frustrated with the way NewEgg mixes reviews for "related products" in with the one I am trying to research. I thought I was perusing customer reviews about the Intel 9600k but many of the reviews for that product page are for the 9700k and the 9900k. It is very easy, therefore, to be taking in wrong information if your aren't very careful to see which product the reviewer is actually commenting on. Why do you do it this way? It seems dishonest to me."

I'm wondering if others find this frustrating and if you could take the time to contact NewEgg about it.

That's the first I've heard of that. I just looked up the same CPU to confirm, but sure enough, there's reviews mentioning the 9700K and 9900K.

Must be the way they added the buttons to select different CPUs, but instead of having a different product page and reviews for each, they all share it. I'd say bring it up to their customer service department. At the very least they could take it into consideration.

Actually, they've been doing it this way for a while now. I noticed it more than a year ago I think for various kinds of products. I already contacted them about this. What I said in my contact was what I have in quotes in the first post.

Ok, I didn't understand at first what you were getting at. Now I see.

I guess I don't shop there enough. I didn't even know.

Newegg has gone downhill... some of their EKWB items are actually twice as expensive as Amazon w/ 5 times the shipping times, and when you do get items from them, half the time it looks like the boxes were kicked around by the random shipping company they outsource to. I'm a premier member as well w/ them and I'm not renewing when the time comes.

i find that feature annoying as well especially when i filter results and change the page of reviews and it resets the settings to show all

Thankful I do not put much stock in or look at newegg reviews. :)

Previously they were really only good for doa failure type information. But if they are mixing like products now, their value is next to nothing...even the 'pro' reviews they have, most are head scratching. Nothing like testing a power supply by turning it on! :p

Last edited:
Newegg has gone downhill... some of their EKWB items are actually twice as expensive as Amazon w/ 5 times the shipping times, and when you do get items from them, half the time it looks like the boxes were kicked around by the random shipping company they outsource to. I'm a premier member as well w/ them and I'm not renewing when the time comes.

Yup. I'd say I'm purchasing <10% from Newegg compared to just 2-3 years ago for the same reasons. Prices are non-competitive and where it used to be most of what I ordered would be shipped either same day or be on the first truck out the next morning now takes 2-3 days to leave the warehouse. As for packaging condition, the last things I ordered (set of JBL towers) were shipped in the manufacturer packaging and looked like they'd been kicked/dragged, but no way of saying that happened in the NE warehouse or during shipping. Either way, these days I tend to check Amazon first, and even turn to fleabay for basic cabling and such.

I'm even finding their CS is turning south, and this review mix-and-match scheme isn't helping.

As far as reviews go I rarely use those short 3 sentence customer reviews. A large percentage of them are people posting that they just bought item "X" and it has worked for the whole day. I prefer to find full review articles where someone with some relatable experience has put the product through the paces.

Newegg reviews, and amazon reviews are not nearly as useful as they used to be. Reviews where people are giving single star/egg ratings because the item does not do something they wanted it to do despite it not being designed to do that very thing are particularly irritating, these and the review of the shipping and not the item are my biggest bugbears I think.The lumping together of 'similar' items into single item reviews is cynical and happens on both sites. Neither sites handles reviews well and both sites have terrible search functions as far as reviews are concerned.

Newegg reviews, and amazon reviews are not nearly as useful as they used to be. Reviews where people are giving single star/egg ratings because the item does not do something they wanted it to do despite it not being designed to do that very thing are particularly irritating, these and the review of the shipping and not the item are my biggest bugbears I think.The lumping together of 'similar' items into single item reviews is cynical and happens on both sites. Neither sites handles reviews well and both sites have terrible search functions as far as reviews are concerned.
Eh the single star/single egg review problem has been around for as long as I can remember - reviewers rating something poorly and saying only along the lines of, "doesn't work". I find the opposite just as irritating - "plugged it in and it booted. 5 stars."

The merging of similar products in a line seems relatively more recent.

Back