• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed New GT AP-15 Fans on RX360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Needitcooler

I just received 6 shiny new Gentle Typhoon AP-15's from Aquatuning, and they could not be nicer. I was so excited to install them on my XSPC RX360 Rad, but I wanted to run some benchmarks first with my existing fans to set a baseline for comparison.

Previous fans - 3 x 120mm NZXT 1200 RPM Fans in Push, 2 x CM 200mm Megaflow 700 RPM Fans in Pull. This config cost me nothing for the megaflows since they came with my HAF X, and the NZXT fans cost $6 each from Amazon. Total $18 for this setup.

New fans - 6 x 120mm GT AP-15's in Push/Pull. Total $105 for this setup

All Temps taken with RealTemp 3.691. All tests run within a 2 hour window. Ambients are 20.5 C or 69 F.

Previous fans:
Idle - Max 33
3Dmark Vantage - Max 58
LinX - Max 71
Prime95 - Max 66

New fans:
Idle - Max 33
3Dmark Vantage - Max 57
LinX - Max 69
Prime95 - Max 65

All told, I gained 2 freakin degrees of temperature drop. In addition, these are way louder than my previous fans. These will most definitely make their way to the classifieds shortly...

I can't imagine I maxed out the cooling potential of the rad, considering it is a CPU only loop right now, with a 2500K @ 4.8 Ghz, Vcore 1.4 V.

Lesson learned I guess.

With the 2500K being a cool running chip and using a big rad too, I'd expect the change in fans wouldn't make a massive difference. As your rad needs to dissipate more heat, I'd expect the temp difference between the fans to increase. Basically, there's so little heat for the big rad, your previous fans were sufficient. That's what I'm thinking.

^1 What he said....

Add a GPU to the loop and you'll see where the AP-15s outshine the other fans.

Good points gentlemen. Maybe my initial reaction was a bit hasty. I will keep these around to potentially cool my upcoming Radeon 7970.

Thats the one great thing about over radding, you can use pretty much any old quiet fan and still get fantastic temps. Im a big fan of yate lows on swiftech qp rads myself. My blue ray burner is now by far the loudest part of my computer.

You could also try 7v modding (or fan controller if you have one) the gt's and see what you temps are like with the fans turned down, with their high static pressure you might be able to get the comp quieter than before with the same temps you were getting with the old setup.

Better cooling should be looked at a percentage value and not an absolute value.

You only have a CPU in that loop? Your DT is under 10C, more like 5C.

So you got a decrease in your DT of 1C, a decrease of 20% or DT or more. That is very very significant!

Additionally, the tone on the GT's is great (to my ear) and they undervolt like champs.

Back