• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed Windows 7 - extra HDD turns into "New Volume"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moccor

I have a friend that reinstalled Windows 7 onto their PC and after doing so a extra HDD becomes unreadable in Windows. When its unplugged, Windows doesn't wanna boot at all. Here is a screenshot from the disk management area:

1111wc.jpg

His data is still on the HDD, as sown by the free space and total space. But it can't be accessed. Any tips on how to get the data off of that HDD? I'm sure it might require another Windows install. Any help is appreciated.

Can you right click on the Disk 1 section and try to activate it? If it is in the disk management util, you should be able to get at the data.

What options does it have?

I'm guessing you've tried assigning a drive letter and then going into my computer and browsing to the new drive?

That fixed the problem. Yeah I haven't encountered such a problem in a long time, so I wanted another persons input. Thanks a lot.

No problem dude. Glad you got it fixed. By the way, the fact that Windows doesn't want to boot when that drive is unplugged might mean the that drive holds the MBR for the OS, so keep that in mind if you ever try to replace the drive.

And, Welcome to the Forums!!

Nice fix mokrunka. Also a good heads up about the MBR. I would probably try to move it to the other disk, too easy to forget and replace the drive then you can't boot when you don't expect it. Easiest way to ensure the MBR is on the same disk as windows is to unplug all other drives during install.

Back