• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed Windows 8 now games minimize extremely slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toastslave

Registered
So I installed windows 8 because I was having some issues, I would have just reinstalled windows 7 but I lost the disk. But now whenever I minimize a game like WoW or BF4 it takes 10x longer to do it than it did with windows 7, ill press minimize and it will stick on a black screen for abit, anybody know a fix for this problem?

Last edited:
Could you list your setup? May help narrow down what is responsible.

I'd also check the CPU, RAM and HDD usage whilst you minimize, see if you notice a spike in activity on one of these.

Other than that, I would place the blame on drivers (I doubt you'll have a virus/malicious software on a new install)

Seeing as everything minimized quick as a fox when I had windows 7 I can only assume its a windows 8 issue.

My specs are:
Intel Core i7-3770K
Intel Xtreme Motherboard
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
Intel SSD 520 Series 180GB (where my OS is)
Nvidia GTX 570

I put my money on a driver issue or application hogging some resources - you have a similar setup to mine and I have never had any issues (I had Windows 8 briefly on desktop but reverted to 7 for now).

Have you looked at your resource usage when you get this issue? Does it occur on every reboot or is it inconsistent?

Yeah rebooting does nothing for the problem, and its consistent, everytime I minimize a game it takes forever. Im not at home right now but I'll check the resource usage when Im back from work.

Yeah rebooting does nothing for the problem, and its consistent, everytime I minimize a game it takes forever. Im not at home right now but I'll check the resource usage when Im back from work.

I had this issue for about 2 weeks and then it magically resolved itself...

My problem was that Windows 8 was choosing to build its search database / page file at random moments and it would cause huge slowdowns including when I was alt tabbing... After about 2 weeks it went away on its own...

I dunno if you're suffering from the same thing but check disk usage when that is happening... chances are it might be something similar.

Back