• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Linux on RAID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiltz

I currently run winxp on my raid0 setup. Will I need to run anything special when I install linux on the raid array for dual booting. I'm referring to something like the raid driver setup for winxp when you first install.
Also i'm assuming you can just install linux on the same drive (C) as winxp.

I currently run winxp on my raid0 setup. Will I need to run anything special when I install linux on the raid array for dual booting. I'm referring to something like the raid driver setup for winxp when you first install.
Also i'm assuming you can just install linux on the same drive (C) as winxp.

On the same physical hard drive, yes linux will sit side-by-side. However, they use different filesystems so they will have to be different partitions.

As for raid, is it software or hardware raid? if its hardware raid you shouldnt have any issues, if its software raid, its not too difficult either so long as you aren't easily intimidated. You don't (or at least shouldn't) need any raid drivers as almost all linux distro's have mdadm for software raid, and they simply auto-detect the hardware raid. In most cases it even says
'disk 0 dell raid' or 'disk 0 dell virtual disk' or whom ever your hardware raid is managed by.

Back