• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Nvidia Chipset drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

codeseven

Registered
I'm updating my new PC build. I've read that when installing the Nvidia Chipset drivers (6.66 WHQL) it's recommended to not install the Nvidia IDE drivers, Nvidia Firewall, Nforce Network Access Manager or Ntune. Is there a common reason for not installing these specific drivers? Thanks
1-BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256mb
WD 74 Gb SATA 10,000 rpm Raptor
NEC 3540A DVD RW
Mitsumi Floppy 7 in 1 USB Card Reader/Smart Media
No Sound card (Creative X-FI when it comes out)
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 SLI
Lian Li PC-60B Plus case
XP x64 Pro

unnecessary parts that would probably only bog down your system.

The nVidia IDE drivers have been known to mess up CD burning in most cases, and corrupt hard drives in some rare cases.

I've just upgraded from 754 MSI Nforce3 250. There have been the same issues around the Nvidia Ide(Pata) drivers for last 12-13Months. I've used them without problem on last board & this. But there are pps who have had issues.

It is easy to roll back to the default Microsoft ones if u do get problems:-

Click update driver on the Nvidia Pata driver tab in properties.
Choose install from a specific location
Select dont choose , i will choose the driver
Then select standard dual channel pci controller which is the XP default ones.

Nvidia Firewall, Nforce Network Access Manager are both working fine. :)

Ntune - NTune Compatability List Have seen this utility corrupt bios on MSI boards so you need to check that your boards supported. In fairness it's not got anything that can't be had elswhere so - it's your shout.

Luck :)

I don't know why people don't like the Firewall, maybe because they don't think it's necessary or something. I'll take a hardware level firewall anyday over Zonealarm or some other app like that. It has a nice interface also.

I've had many problems with the built in firewall. I can't access the internet at all.
The forceware network manager caused BSOD during high internet use (this is difinitely a known issue) and they haven't fixed that.
As for the IDE drivers. I've used them for 6 months now and never had any problems. I'm not sure if they help at all with performance compared to the default windows drivers because I haven't tested, but I haven't ran into any problems.

The IDE driver from nVidia don't seem to work very well on nForce2 motherboards those where the main complaints with the 5.10 driver. I installed them once on a old maxtor 20gb HDD it bodged that up & my Philips CD-RW drive wouldn't burn anymore. I did notice that the system was faster shame it cause so much problems I have the 5.10 driver installed but have never installed the IDE driver again since then.

Back