• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing SSD on Win 8 for first time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So before I installed 8.1 the bios showed my asus DVD and my samsung ssd. I set the DVD as primary and ssd secondary so that I booted off the windows disk to install. After install it shows the same asus DVD but now shows a second one with the same name but with UEFI in front if it. Which one should I put as secondary if I decide to put the samsung to primary?

So do I put UEFI DVD version as the second boot device and then the normal DVD one as the third that was only listed at install? I guess my confusion is I don't know what UEFI is.

So when I go to the bios, and look at the boot drive order, the Asus DVDRW and the UEFI Asus DVDRW drives are the same one? The BIOS just lists it twice?

Any harm with listing the Samsung SSD 1st, then the UEFI DVDRW second? Do you think this will cause the automatic repair loop issue I was experiencing before?

Yeah, Woomack, what do you mean 'install' AHCI drivers?
AHCI is ON by default in BIOS on modern systems prior to Windows installation?

I forgot to check this thread and there is already 1 page more :p

I said manufacturer's AHCI drivers like when you have Intel SATA controller then you install Intel AHCI driver which is sometimes improving performance or adding caching options ( sometimes they're disabled on standard drivers, depends from board etc ). You can find it under Rapid Storage what includes AHCI and RAID drivers and additional soft.
Standard Microsoft driver called msahci is sometimes up to 10% slower on new SSD.

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility? Is that what you mean?
It's always a pain figuring out which page on Intel's web site hosts that. That is for the motherboard chipset drivers...

Motherboard web sites should have the download link for that too.
Motherboard web sites also have links for both necessary and unnecessary software and it is sometimes difficult to tell which is which... ;(

Last edited:
True. But if you just stick to drivers (usually they are at least separated by drivers/utilities etc), that won't bloat anything. It's the software/utilities that does it.

I know that my English is not perfect so maybe this will be easier:

AHCI Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/De...dID=22271&keyword=rapid+storage+ahci&lang=eng

Intel Chipset Device Software:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/De...ProdId=816&DwnldID=20775&keyword=inf&lang=eng

You can also install Intel Rapid Storage driver for RAID as it includes AHCI driver.

Manufacturer can make one package with all necessary drivers and depends from board Intel AHCI driver can be in the package with all other chipset drivers. As you see latest separate AHCI driver was from last year so hard to say if it's included in some other package now or simply doesn't require updates and all are using the same driver from last year.
For some reason Windows is not replacing standard Microsoft driver even though Intel's driver should be long time ago in Windows Update.

AMD APU with integrated SATA controller requires only 1 driver package for all devices including gfx card and SATA controller.

I see what you are saying... package it all up. But wouldn't that go to the 'bloat' nature of things being forced to install all drivers at once? Personally, I like to select the ones I need... though again, installing ALL drivers to me isn't a bad thing regardless if they are used or not (clearly if they are not used I wouldn't install them, but for the average person, this would not hiurt things).

Last edited:
I ran the Intel Chipset Device Software and it says I have version 10.0.14 and that it is valid. It doesn't give me an recommendations so I assume I have the most current version? Do I need to download the ACHI? How can I tell which version of that is currently installed?

Back