• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 975 @ 5ghz daily possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darionis

Registered
Hey folks,

I'm less than a week away from ordering my new bits and pieces to make a new baby, and was wondering!

I've currently got a E3110 @ 4.21Ghz stable, and was hoping to push my i7 past that, and if possible - towards 5Ghz at a 'daily' setup.

With some intense water cooling (120.4 or 160.4 rad and high cfm fans), I was wondering if anyone would think it's doable. As for cooling liquid, I've had some good experience with the Feser-1 coolant and am most likely going to go for the Feser VS.C - and maybe that new reflow TIM.

On water cooling - not possible. Maybe on phase change, but I'm not sure. Depends on cpu.

I haven't done an i7 OC yet, but with my E3110 my OC limiter was due to that dreaded voltage barrier that I was afraid to cross (I didn't want to kill my lovely Xeon!).

What are the limiting factors with the 975 Extreme?

I'm pretty sure I could deal with heat issues (especially since I can easily get ambient temps to 5-10C for the next few months (yay testing!)

Haha. I'm a canuck! Current temperate is 14C and my crazy family likes to keep the AC running so it's not surprising to see frost on the outside of the central air box.

Fun story - Crysis burned up my video cards, so what I did was make a snow shield for the case and opened up all the windows and brought the ambient down to -25C. That was fun!

Well... if you go -25 you can probably do 4.5GHz daily... 5GHz might be a bit of a push... but you can try!!

Are these i7s heat fiends?

To get a 975 extreme from stock to 5ghz it's a 50% OC. My E3110 is almost a 50% OC, and I always thought the 45nm chips ran cooler?

yep 4.5 to 4.6 is max prime stable I have seen posted on i7 with HT on. And you will need a better than avg chip for that, along with good ambients and good wc setup. And also willing to run vcore at 1.4+ 24/7.

On mine, 5ghz is suicide only with help set fsb and 18C ambients. Cant even boot above 4.85ish. 4.92 is max spi 1m, and 4.8 is max for benching (again all at 18C ambients). 4.7's is max benching at 23C ambients.

If you have a custom made phase that can handle 300+ watts and get a cherry chip, then maybe, but I have neither to try that theory out.

I still use 4.4ghz with 1.34 vcore and 1.34 qpi since sweet spot on mine for 24/7, even though have prime stable 4.5 in sig...another .06 vcore for 100 mhz.

maybe if you have a automated ice dispenser then puts 4-5 cubes of ice in the reservoir every 10mins with a couple extreme pumps and heatkiller and a crazy MONSTA rad with some delta 250cfm and some shin-etsu or liquid metal pro maybe you will get 5ghz daily :) but with HT on forget about it.

That bad on heat? yikes! Well, I'll definitely be giving it a good ol' try! I'll document the effort and post it up on here when I give it a go!

5Ghz is my goal, but I guess 4.5 is a pretty good consolation prize!

Well to give you an idea... when i was using a Noctua heatsink with 2 fans in push/pull, @ 4GHz my load temps were hitting 80 degrees, thats with HT on... now i am watercooling i am at 4.3GHz and my load temps hit 70 degrees (i need to reseat my block) and thats with HT off... so to go higher requires an excellent cooling system and some seriously big balls....

I'm actually tempted to try a thermo-electric cooler setup. I figure why not go big? I've done big air, I've done big water... I need another step before I try phase change cooling.

Anyone here have any experience with TECs?

Back