• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel CPU for games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clinker42

Registered
Hi guys

My current CPU is a Q6600 which is 65nm, 8mb cache, 2.40ghz and an FSB of 1066 mhz.

Now i can get a Q9550 for $490.

It has a 45nm core, 12mb cache, 2.83ghz and 1333 hz fsb.

Do you guys think I would see any difference while playing a game like Forged Alliance or Crysis.

I have my Q6600 running at 3.0 ghz.

Or would you guys wait until the extreme processors came down in price and get a 3.2 ghz extreme.

Thanks Trevor

I would stick with what I have. The best benefit you would see for gaming would be to upgrade your GPU. The extreme CPU's likely won't go down in price.

Extreme editions dont get pricecuts so the best option there would be to look for a second hand.

Dont buy Q9550 now, they will drop to the current price level of the Q9450 very soon. Some European etailers has already cut the prices for E8400 and E8500, the quads should follow shortly. For gaming performance, maybe not much gain with the Q9550, depending on what games you play/what screencard you have and at what resulotion you game. The Q9550 will OC better at modest cooling, apart from that it doesnt offer much over an OCed Q6600.

No overclocking?

Games don't use quad cores. They barely use dual cores. Get wolfdale for $150 and overclock it to 4.0Ghz.

Of course if you are heavy into video editing and data crunching, the quad has it's purpose. Most the people out there with quad cores would do better with a faster clocked dual.

My advice would be to stick with what you have though. Overclock it to 3.0Ghz. That would be a mild OC and probably wouldn't require any more voltage and therefore wouldn't even void your warranty.

A quad at 3ghz isn't going to be reasonably bested by anything at the moment.

Whatever gains you have by bumping up to a 4ghz processor will be negligible - and would be money better spent on a better vidcard or something.

I would stick with the Q6600 and use that $490 towards 2x 4850's and go CF :drool:

Now that's pretty much the best answer in this thread. In fact, with the $190 you still have left over after buying the pair of 4850's, you could go buy another motherboard if you don't already have a CF-capable one.

Now that's pretty much the best answer in this thread. In fact, with the $190 you still have left over after buying the pair of 4850's, you could go buy another motherboard if you don't already have a CF-capable one.

Hey now, I was the first to respond and I said the same thing....:cry:;)

Agreed with the last few posts, a Q6600 @ 3ghz is more then enough for any games right now, video cards such as the 4850/4870 would go alot further with your money.

Thanks very much guys.

I have a powercolor 4870 in it now and the second one was meant too turn up yesterday but it will arrive today. So i will have 2 powercolor 4870's in crossfire.

I play Forged Alliance and when I play against 6 AI, about an hour into the game it really slows down so I am trying too stop that as it ruins the hole game.

Thanks again.

Back