• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Intel MB No Mo'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As its wrote on the article, asus, msi and other will keep building boards for us. I never buyed an Intel board so this is not something that disapoint me.

The big take-away to me was the statement made to the effect that Intel's desktop business and value of the DIY crowd was still important to them.

I dont think we are not important to them, they just dont sell enough MB's to keep this segment up so they shut it down, leaving the partner's all the market.

This is like all the news about intel to come up with AIO solution, CPU soldered to the MB. This is not the end of DIY since they will make AIO solution for the mass, leaving the mid/high end as it is currently. Well at least for few years from now ;)

No big loss as they didn't make many good boards for some years. Even their 1 cpu server boards were generally worse and more expensive than what you can get from ASRock or Gigabyte in standard desktop version ( I mean like component quality and general stability ).

ASUS had been getting inquiries and released a statement with regard to Intel's pulling out of the MB business.

Enthusiasts and PC builders trust ASUS as their go-to brand when it comes to building desktops. As the global leader in motherboard design across multiple product ranges, ASUS remains strongly committed to developing a wide range of new and innovative motherboards now and well into the future. For the consumer segment we have invested significant resources to grow and sustain the Build Your Own ecosystem, including the PCDIY initiative designed to educate and inspire new builders, our ongoing support for the PC gaming community, and our grassroots program for university students across North America providing support for learning through a number of vehicles. For the commercial segment we have been on the forefront with the highly acclaimed Corporate Stable Model (CSM) program in North America. ASUS motherboards have been recognized by eChannelNews with their Resellers Choice Award for Best Motherboard several years in the row. ASUS CSM motherboards covers a full range of chipsets and form factors, and come complete with a guaranteed long shelf life, advance cross shipping, and Intel vPro Technology. With the Haswell-based 4th generation Core platform we plan to deepen our commitment to bring excitement and new opportunities to the desktop platform.

ASUS will continue to expand our close partnership with Intel to fully support their growing CPU and chipset roadmap with a wide selection of motherboards that provide the highest quality and ownership value in the market. We have the utmost confidence in Intel’s continued commitment to desktop CPUs and chipsets, and eagerly look forward to leading the next generation of Build Your Own enthusiasts and system builders.

I also concur with EarthDog. Intel's motherboards were never great. They provided superb stability at stock and lived plenty long lives. Aside from that, you can get a better motherboard with more features and more overclocking ability from pretty much any motherboard manufacturer out there. In alphabetical order so as to prevent favoritism....ASRock, ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI have all long been > Intel motherboards. Intel just decided this was true and took the next logical step.

"In what will only be interpreted as more evidence of the dawn of the “Post PC era,”

This is what I got out of it. I believe the PC era is winding down. Things will more mobile(more than they already are. Hard to believe).

"In what will only be interpreted as more evidence of the dawn of the “Post PC era,”

This is what I got out of it. I believe the PC era is winding down. Things will more mobile(more than they already are. Hard to believe).

The traditional PC is fading and fast, but high performance chips are not going away either. What we consider normal is quickly becoming the new "Workstation" class. Big, expensive, good to show off, but a much smaller and lower powered box can do everything it can. The move to mobile requires a proportionate increase in HPC to back that smaller form factor device though.

Im a big supporter of cloud 2.0 which hasn't begun to come about yet. I long for the day when I can have one dual socket multi-GPU system with a ridiculous array of HDD space runs every access point in my house. 3D virtualization is still new and emerging but once they get that right im all for ditching the desktops.

I don't have a take on that, intel has said that the DIY is thriving market.

I don't have a take on that, intel has said that the DIY is thriving market.

Right. And I believe that's what ssjwizard is saying. For the DIY like us here at OCC, but the general public is more mobile and less likely to be spending time time in front of thier Dells and HPs...

Consider that the mobile electronics are additional tools in the kit, not necessarily the kit itself. Workstations and desktops are still being used by the folks using them before, they haven't abandoned their PCs. Think about the kitchen toaster and microwave; they didn't displace ovens, just added another dimension to cooking.

Perhaps in the near future you will abandon your mobile phone in favor of the nasal implant. But you may keep your home wifi to play online games in 4D holograms on your holodeck. Which most likely won't replace your girlfriend but only make her more jealous.

Back