• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz SL7JB MALAY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pastulio

Registered
I recently retired my LGA775 EVGA 790i FTW motherboard (nVidia Chipset equivalent to x48) which was equipped with a better processor. Somebody I know though was wanting to increase their computer performance for the upcoming video game, Elder Scrolls Online, and their current computer just won't cut it. Of course, since I just retired my previous build (which was that motherboard with a Quad CPU overclocked to 4.4GHz @ 1600MHz FSB) and had 100% no complaints or issues with it, I was considering putting the baord back to use one last time and bidding it farewell.
The processor I have at my disposal for it, currently, is Intel's Pentium 4 3.4GHz @ 800MHz FSB ... (single core) I know that there will be a significant performance loss because of the processor switch-out, but I think that for the intended use of the computer (one video game and at most web-browsing) it should definitely suffice.
My question is,
How do I "Overclock" a non-"Unlocked" processor? (I know that with the "unlocked" type of CPU's [such as Intel's i7-3770K]) it is as easy as going into the BIOS and adjusting the CPU Multiplier and then adjusting the voltage levels accordingly.
... and of course, being that this processor is basically 12 years old (at the time it was a pretty $$pricey$$ CPU), I would imagine that the person would be better off spending some of their own $$cash$$ into something like the Q9400 (if this Pentium 4 doesn't bode-well for the intended use)

But the question occurs again in this instance, being that the CPU they would potentially invest in is not "unlocked",, how would they go about Overclocking it?

Basically the two computers I'm working with here are,
EVGA 790i FTW (132-YW-E179)
Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz (SL7JB MALAY) + ZALMAN CNPS9500
4x1GB Patriot DDR3 1333MHz (PDC32G1333ELK)
vs.
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz (ADX250OCGMBOX ) + stockFan
2x2GB Patriot DDR2 800MHz (PEP22G6400LL) + 2x2GB OCZ SLI-Ready Edition DDR2 800MHz OCZ2N800SR4GK

I don't know much about specifics, I know that the AMD CPU is Dual-Core (but the computer won't be used for MultiTasking or anything) and the Intel has 3.4GHz vs. 3.0GHz but only 800MHz FSB ... iDunno
What should I do?

Last edited:
Your SL7JB seems to be an OEM variant of SL7PZ? which is a Prescott (90nm) single core at 17x200 (quad pumped = 800 fsb) 3.4GHz.

To overclock... You would drop the multi and raise the FSB along with adjusting voltages... So maybe something like 14x266 (quad pumped = 1066 fsb) ~3.72GHz.

That said... The Prescott is an old design and newer generation/class of cpu(s) will put the "smackdown" on it.

The Athlon II X2 250 is a newer gen. 45nm chip and I would think that it would outperform the old Prescott. :shrug:

Your 790i motherboard would be better suited to a 45nm C2Duo E8400/E8500/E8600 or one of the 45nm C2Quads like your were originally running with it.

Link: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

Best bet is to put the Prescott on the shelf. Maybe drill a hole through it and make a keychain? There are so many better 775 processors for that board that would destroy that weak, slow, hot, power-hungry Pressy. These days you can find a 65nm C2D for under $20US on the used market.

Back