• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Q6600 : ddr800 or ddr1066?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dragos.rusu

Ok so I'm buying these days the followings:
1 x CPU Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz, box
1 x MB MSI P35 NEO2-FR, Socket 775
1 x Memory Kit Mushkin Dual Pack 2x 1GB, XP2-8500

I have 2 second thoughts about RAM modules:
1) Should I choose:
a) Kit Dual Channel Kingston HyperX 2GB DDR2-1066 (100 euro) OR
b) Memory Kit Mushkin Dual Pack 2x 1GB, XP2-8500 (150 euro)
==> is there any difference..like cost/performance?
[real question is does it worth the money, will my system be faster?]

2) Should I choose DDR-800 or DDR-1066?
A friend of mine linked me to this article where I found out about "quad-pumped" term. I read all post very attentive and I couldn't manage to decide.
In other words, will the extra money spent on DDR-1066 (I'm taking 2GB instead of 4GB DDR-800) result in identical system speed results?
This friend of mine says DDR-1066 is not used for it's 4 x 266Mhz and DDR533 would be just fine for me...that's a scary thought.

If anyone has time to answer this, I'd appreciate.
Thanks in advance.

Ok so I'm buying these days the followings:
1 x CPU Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz, box
1 x MB MSI P35 NEO2-FR, Socket 775
1 x Memory Kit Mushkin Dual Pack 2x 1GB, XP2-8500

1) Should I choose:

2) Should I choose DDR-800 or DDR-1066?
A friend of mine linked me to this article where I found out about "quad-pumped" term. I read all post very attentive and I couldn't manage to decide.
In other words, will the extra money spent on DDR-1066 (I'm taking 2GB instead of 4GB DDR-800) result in identical system speed results?
This friend of mine says DDR-1066 is not used for it's 4 x 266Mhz and DDR533 would be just fine for me...that's a scary thought.

If anyone has time to answer this, I'd appreciate.
Thanks in advance.

Your friend doesn't seem to understand what he's talking about. I don't want to get into too much detail because I'm tired-- but post this in the memory section.

Also, yes, the 1066 ram will be better than the 800 ram. Honestly if appropriately configured having something quad pumped (4 operations per clock) is about the same as 1 operation per clock at 4x the clock speed..

There is a noticeable difference if you do a test with slower to faster ram timings provided you adjust other settings appropriately. Again, check memory section, ignore friend.

Most good DDR2-800 will do 1066 speeds, so don't get the 1066 unless you are trying to go for just the tiniest bit more performance after you've OC'd them as far as they'll go and tightened up all the timings.

I'm not sure on the conversion rates, but I got 2GB of Ballistix Tracers for $20 AR this past holiday. I know you can get a good deal on 2GB of good DDR2-800 for $50 or less AR if you shop around. That would make getting 4GB a no-brainer, and will be a lot cheaper than the numbers you are talking about.

The DDR2-800 Ballistix are good to 1100-1200, and the 1066 sticks might get you an extra 50 if you're lucky. But, the way it works you'll never need those extra MHz if you run 1:1. Let's say you do manage to get your FSB up to 500 (not going to happen w/a quad). Then your RAM will be running 1000MHz if you have it in 1:1. Ballistix (and other D9 based RAM) will do that easily.

You need to get a different MoBo. That one you have listed won't be able to handle the quad. There are components on that Mobo that may get up to 225*C (and possible melt or explode) when OCing that quad. The top-tier boards are the Foxconn MARS, P5K-premium, and IP35Pro. If you need something cheaper go w/ the P5K-E or P35-DS3R.

The 1066 memory will give a better chance that you can run at tighter memory timings at higher speeds.

I am going to have to disagree- Although I would do your own research to prove me right/wrong.

Most memory these days is the same chip. They just change the timings and the voltage that the SPD is programed with. In short: The ram sticks for DDR800 and DDR1066 are physically identical. (99.9% sure of this with crucial ballistix)

I am going to have to disagree- Although I would do your own research to prove me right/wrong.

Most memory these days is the same chip. They just change the timings and the voltage that the SPD is programed with. In short: The ram sticks for DDR800 and DDR1066 are physically identical. (99.9% sure of this with crucial ballistix)

Yep, that is my conclusion as well. I can run my DDR2-800 Ballistix at 950MHz @ 4-4-4-4-6 4-20-6-10-10-3-8-3-4-2T, and at 1128MHz @ 5-5-4-4-10 4-25-6-10-11-3-8-3-4-2T. Both at 2.2v...maybe less. I paid $20 for them!

Tighter timings w/ 1066 RAM?...maybe (I doubt it), but it's not worth the extra cost IMO.

I did look it up, and micron _does_ have chips specifically for 1066ddr. So, it could go either way depending on who you buy it from. I know the ram used to be up clocked D9 for 1066. Maby not anymore.

1) Should I choose:

1) What OS are you running?
2) A more important question might be should I get 2x1gb or 2x2gb.
3) System speed is a function of memory speed as well as capacity.
4) Your motherboard is limited to 2 sets of 2.

I'm taking 2GB instead of 4GB DDR-800

This is probably fine, but if you plan on running vista you'd be much better off getting the 'slower' 2x2GB kit. That way you can easily upgrade to 8gb in a year or two when you need to without having to ebay your current memory.

p.s. please post in the memory section next time you have a question about memory

1) What OS are you running?
2) A more important question might be should I get 2x1gb or 2x2gb.
3) System speed is a function of memory speed as well as capacity.
4) Your motherboard is limited to 2 sets of 2.

This is probably fine, but if you plan on running vista you'd be much better off getting the 'slower' 2x2GB kit. That way you can easily upgrade to 8gb in a year or two when you need to without having to ebay your current memory.

p.s. please post in the memory section next time you have a question about memory

I don't see why anyone would 'need' 8GB anytime soon. By the time we need 8GB, DDR3 or DDR4 will have a firm foothold.

I'd stay w/ 2x1GB kits, and keep an eye out for an awesome deal for another 2x1GB kit. Even 4GB is overkill, but if you find a great deal it is hard to overlook.

I'll point that those results are seriously skewed. those are all primarily CPU intensive applications.
and I can say this, switching from dual channel quality to single channel crap my FPS in DOD:S has dropped by more than 50% and I get random stutter.

I would say screw 4gb- I've never maxed out my 2gb doing normal stuff. I HAVE maxed it out, with firefox +IE+PS+Topstyle+<list goes on> all up at once. Then again, firefox was using 700meg, and photoshop was using 300meg...

closing..

I would like to thank you all for your advices.
I read them well.
My decision was strongly influenced by "sunrunner20" in memory picking (the fact that they are not quad-pumped) and jason4207 on MB.

1x CPU Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz, box
1x Memory Kit Mushkin Dual Pack 2x 1GB, XP2-8500
1x MB Asus P5K-PREMIUM/WIFI-AP, socket 775
1x Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS, 256 MB, 64 biti, PCI-E

Special thanks to jason4207, sunrunner20 and burebista (who brought me here).

This decision might be considered a wrong one,but I said to myself I'll pick a couple of modules of DDR2 later if needed. (MB has 4 slots).

Thanks again for everything and sorry for posting this in CPU and not in memory section.

well imma late to this i know...

i might try to get you to another motherboard... simply the cost of the asus to features.. you can get the gigabyte p35-DS4($164) or abit ip35-pro <-has a mir at newegg making it $150. simply both of those boards will oc just the same as the other 2 i listed and not have the cost hike im seeing with the name ASUS on it.

as far a which ram to go with this really comes down to what you choose to to with the rig. as with ocing your gonnna want the higher rated ram. if this isnt oced i would go for the higher size(gig) then speed. like already pointed out in real world your not gonna see gains from faster speed memory.

with prices what they are now, i paid $250 for 2gig ddr2-800 last summer. now you can get 2 4gig kits at ddr2-1000 for what i paid. you can get ddr2-800 4gig kit 4-4-4-12 for $98. i would ask is said kit on your list near or over that 4gig kit? if it is i would try to get you to switch. wiether you use the full 4gigs or not, windows xp or vista will thank you. as will your games like BF2 where the amount of ram directly relates to how fast things load for it,from what i have seen. i do not own BF2 or new one so i can test.

as i see you choose a 7300GS so it to me looks like you wont be gaming much it any at all. what will you be doing with this rig? i think you have more options then what you think, as things are not as simple as the questions you asked.

I did look it up, and micron _does_ have chips specifically for 1066ddr. So, it could go either way depending on who you buy it from. I know the ram used to be up clocked D9 for 1066. Maby not anymore.

micron does not do it like that... as there is no jdec spec for ddr2-1066,the highest is ddr2-800. micron binnes lower jdec ic's for higher speeds,such as with the D9GMH or ?D9GHK? ic's. you can tell if said ram is jdec specced as its alway with 1.8volts for DDR2.

:)
And I totally agree with the picking up more latter. I've had no issues with the 2gb of ram I have.

I did forget one thing earlier- make sure you have matched pairs. When my ram died and I'm currently stuck on one stick of ram my performance went to hell. Dual channel makes a huge difference.
Thank God my ram is out for delivery today...

Back