• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Skylake-X Review Core i9 7900X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting what a little competition does, isn't it? The author suggests the blue team folks were getting a little jumpy.

But is the outright IPC speed enough to counter AMD's multi thread advantage? Good times for folks building new rigs in the next year.

And this just in https://www.yahoo.com/tech/amd-ryzen-threadripper-gets-first-181616818.html

Hard to see that many users will even need a 10C/20T i9 not to mention 16C/32T Threadripper. I couldn't see any need for the 8C/16T Ryzen 7, and so settled on the 6C/12T Ryzen 5. As far as IPC goes, IMO Ryzen is close enough to hardly even notice. A big improvement over the Bulldozer's weak IPC.

Hard to see that many users will even need a 10C/20T i9 not to mention 16C/32T Threadripper.

I agree, but that won't stop a lot of people from buying them. Benchmarks sell chips, the 21st century version of car manufacturers sponsoring race cars: "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday".

I agree, but that won't stop a lot of people from buying them. Benchmarks sell chips, the 21st century version of car manufacturers sponsoring race cars: "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday".

Right on analysis!

So far Ryzen has showed an advantage in most multi thread benchmarks over Intel's (current) best. With no architecture change from Team Blue, all they have is clock speed and a slight IPC advantage. I'm not crowning AMD The King of Computing, just pointing out that there is real choice out there for the first time in a long time, and even more coming with Threadripper and the multi core Intels. It's a great time for anyone contemplating a HEDT build.

Man, I am so "out of the loop"!

Is this already available?!?

Just drop some bucks in a 1080 ti, what about the 8c/16t? MIght retire my good old 5820k...

if they're going back to goop under the lid instead of solder i think i'll wait for the next gen from both companies. neither amd or intel seem to want people to overclock any more apparently. intel uses goop and amd has no oc headroom. i guess ill see what does best at stock next gen and go with that.

It's pretty much what I was expecting but even at low voltage these chips run really hot. There were other tests/reviews in last days with results about 100°C on water at 1.25V in more demanding benchmarks. On the other hand Intel has ~4.5GHz 10c+ chip on ambient cooling while I doubt that AMD will make more than 4GHz. Of course there is price difference and I doubt that many users will buy 10c+ processors but at least now Intel has much better offer for me only because of higher frequency. On the other hand I wouldn't switch from previous gen 6-8 cores to new 6-8 cores. 4 core version seems nice but it won't be better than 7700K while motherboards will cost more.
Pretty much product for a few users just to show "who is the king" on cpu market. In price/performance, AMD will beat them anyway.

Other thing is that I wouldn't delid $1k chip (at least now with my monthly income). This is getting ridiculous.

You could expect to see 10 cores for $600 since 6-8 cores are on the market for like 5 years now. So we get barely faster 6-8 cores in the same price as before but 10 cores will be a bit cheaper and additionally we get 12+ cores in ridiculous prices.

At this point I wish to see AMD releasing 12-16 cores that can make 4.5GHz on water ( at least 4.2GHz stable and 4.5GHz for benchmarks ). Somehow I doubt that current gen will make more than 4GHz on ambient temps.

Yeah, but 10 cores at 3.3 GHz for $1000? If Threadripper runs at Ryzen speeds with 10 cores the only people buying i9 chips will be fanboys.

Back