• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting Windows Startup Speed: Seagate 120GB 8MB 7200rpm -vs- WD 20GB 2MB 5400rpm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luie

Interesting Windows Startup Speed: Seagate 120GB 8MB 7200rpm -vs- WD 20GB 2MB 5400rpm

I recently upgraded my harddrive to a Seagate 120GB 8MB 7200rpm from WD 20GB 2MB 5400rpm.

The WD 20GB 2MB 5400rpm is now in another computer now.

Both HDD are defrag-ed and are partitioned 5GB of space just for WindowsXP.

File System-
WD 20GB 2MB 5400rpm: NTFS
Seagate 120GB 8MB 7200rpm: FAT32

WindowsXP Startup Time-
WD 20GB 2MB 5400rpm: around 30 seconds
Seagate 120GB 8MB 7200rpm: around 2 minutes

Is this right? :mad: I even tweaked the Windows and disable useless services.
This is weird.

I thought FAT32's performace is better.

Do you, experts, think the OS will load faster if I switch back to NTFS?

Did you run Bootvis? That will make a BIG difference in boot times, especially on freshly installed systems. When I first formatted my drive it took forever to boot, but after running bootvis (even before tweaking windows much) the times dropped drastically.

JigPu

I am gonan guess your next question would be were to find BootVis

I don't know how much faster FAT32 is over NTFS but I have heard that it is a little faster but less reliable in most cases, but not THAT much. I would you have some other problem, maybe a driver that takes a while to load. Make sure everthing is updated and then you can use BootVis to tweak it and figure out what you problem is.
A less effective method might be to fold for [OC]FoldingNinjas and team 32 and just leave your computer on 24/7!:D

Back