• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Invisionfree forums question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
Don't worry, I got the problem sorted. Thanks anyway :) (if you were going to reply)

Hi,

I frequent a certain IF forum and recently bought a proper domain for it.
The original domain is in the forumat "http://s6.invisionfree.com/Site_name", and the new URL is just http://sitename.com.

However, I had some slight problems with it that needed addressing.
For one, whenever I typed in the domain www.sitename.com, that's what would -always- stay in the URL bar, whereas I didn't want URL masking because it makes it harder to copy/edit URLs. This was fixed by adding the following to IF's board wrapper, in the javascrips section:

Code:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
if (window != window.top)
top.location.href = location.href;
//-->
</script>

However, I'm still lift stick with another problem.

When people used to type in "http://s6.invisionfree.com/sitename", it used to load fine and would accept cookies. How that i have www.sitename.com redirected to the invisionfree URL, if i type just www.sitename.com, cookies from that site are blocked and as soon as i log in and click a link, it logs me out again (blocks cookies under the privacy policy thing)

Here's what my domain registrar, 1&1, had to say about it:

Thank you for contacting us.

The issue is not originating from this end, the frames which are automatically place on your
website when you redirect, can most of the times cause problems. Therefore to solve this
problem the customer needs to place a JavaScript code on the HTML homepage to break
the frames.

If you put the following JavaScript code above the <body> tag of your html source code,
this will break off the frames that are automatically generated when a domain is forwarded
to another domain name.

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">

<!--
if (parent.frames.length > 0) {
parent.location.href = location.href
}
//-->

</SCRIPT>

You also need to check the way the COOKIE has be setup and ask yourself what specifications does
the COOKIE require for it work? For example, it might have been configured in a way that it only works
with a particular URL, thereof, if the this URL changes somehow the COOKIE fails. Please note that i'm
not saying this is the case with your COOKIE, but just to give you an example.

Overall though, what does this really mean? If it's asking to edit that code into the index page of the site, that is impossible since because we're using InvisionFree and it doesn't allow editing of any files on the server, only through the IF control panel.

I guess I could have www.sitename.com link to another page with this scrips on, which is just blank and autolinks to the forum, but I don't know if that would work either.
I'm hoping this isn't a client end only issue, because lots of ifferent or new people may browse/join the forum and they will often go by first impressions: going to a forum at www.sitename.com and haveing my cookies blocked certainly wouldn't impress me, and i'd probably not bother going there again, without waiting for some admin to come and tell be to do certain things on my browser >_>

So, basically, is there any way around this? I'm hoping it can be sorted, or i've just kinda wasted my money on a domain for nothing......

Last edited:
Back