• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 650W enough for water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MX5J6

I want to have a dual rad water cooling system so how much power will i need? More than 650W?

These are the rest of the specs in case anyone needs to know. I was looking at the Corsair TX650 so would that be enough or wouldI need more power? Also if you want to suggest another PSU please be sure it has 8 molex connectors, I will need them for all the fans.

Was also looking at the PCP and Cooling Silencer MkII 750W.

MoBo: ASUS Maximus V Gene
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad-Core
HSF: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO (until I upgrade to water cooling)
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 PE OC 2GB
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series 128GB
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM
ODD: ASUS DVD Burner OEM

Last edited:
Water cooling at most will consume ~20W of juice. Based on the specs you posted you should be in the clear with a 650w PSU. Given WC will give you the ability to OC higher which will pull more juice, I still dont see that setup exceeding 650...

Well I'd say more 50w than 20w if using 5 fans and a powerful pump(5x5w+20w), but as SsjWizard says you have more than enough juice.

Well the case I will be using will have 10 rad fans and 4 case fans so 14 fans all together. Still enough juice? I am planning on using the 750 but if 650 will suffice then I can do that too.

Triple rad up top in push pull and a dual rad on the bottom in push pull so thats 10 rad fans, the SWITCH 810 will have 1 rear fan, 2 fron intake fans and 1 interior intake fan on the upper HDD cage. the botton one will be removed for the rad.

your CPU 77W design, your GPU 170W design, MOBO + accessories < 30W, add in another 10 fans at ~10W each and thats another 100W, so that puts you in the ~400W range not counting HDD/SSD/OOD and USB devices. Id say your pretty safe with a QUALITY 650W PSU even with 40% overclocks your only looking at ~550W...

Wow that surprises me a little. I think the Corsair TX650 should do just fine then, thanks. =]

^+1

EDIT: with the heat load of a 3770k and a 670, I really don't believe that you need a push/pull setup: 5.120 will give you a very good delta (4/5°C at full load) with a push config and fans running at medium speed (almost no noise).

Adding the pull fans will give you , at best, a 1 or 2°C drop. Not worth it in my opinion...

Back