• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to overclock memory that came from a store bought PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

The title says it all. and if it is possible how would i go about doing it? i'm looking to OC the memory (a single 8GB stick) to increase the performance of my APU (A8-6500). if anyone has some guides they could link me to on how to do this with AMD overdrive i'd appreciate it. the parts are from an ASUS M11BB desktop.

You should look for OC options in BIOS. Memory frequency should be available in any BIOS unless ASUS locked everything but I doubt. Except that look for main timings and maybe memory voltage.
You can't overclock memory good using software as some options need manual adjustment in BIOS.

If you find options in BIOS but don't know what to set then make screenshots/photos and post them in this thread. Someone will for sure give you advice. Without any options in BIOS you simply won't overclock memory.
Still more will give you 2nd memory stick to boost memory bandwidth in dual channel.

yeah i don't even see any OC options, so i'm assuming i can't change anything in the BIOS (in the EZ mode for the UEFI BIOS all i see is my boot devices, fan speeds, and CPU settings but i cannot alter them, and in advanced mode i can view the memory settings but again cannot alter them). this might be a bit dangerous but is there any way to like hack the BIOS and unlock these utilities if they're somehow hidden?

Last edited:
I don't think it's worth it. Probably better would be to replace motherboard but it's also not worth it. Adding memory to make dual channel seem best idea ... depends if you see any special difference , and I doubt.

Back