• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it safe to connect PSU to motherboard while it's being jump-started?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noxcovenant

I don't know if I caused damage or not. I am just being cautious.

But anyway, I jumpstarted the PSU (with a 24pin connector I purchased at microcenter). I did it to test my lighting system but I forgot the remainder of my PSU was plugged to the 8-pin of the motherboard. Did I potentially do damage?

I won't know until tomorrow when I get my new CPU, but this will keep me awake all night. Any helpful answers would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

It's fine. As long as you weren't plugging things in while the PSU is on. That's a common way to find out if there's an issue or if you have to power a system with multiple power supplies

It's fine. As long as you weren't plugging things in while the PSU is on. That's a common way to find out if there's an issue or if you have to power a system with multiple power supplies

Thanks, but now I'm worried again.

I wish I had just stopped at that. But while the lighting system was on, I plugged in the GPU (muscle memory). I heard a very soft static. Anyway, motherboard wasn't on.

I'm just worrying myself. I will find out tomorrow. If I blew out my 980 Ti, then it sucks, but worse things have happened in my life. :(

I would think things should be fine as long as there was no major load while the connection was made.
even if things are fine this time, please follow best practice, no open fluids within 10 feet and the rigs power cord unplugged.

Yeah I would unplug it all (psu from wall, power plug to 980Ti and press the power button to discharge the psu. Then start praying. Plug everything back, keep fingers crossed as Johan did, and hit the power button ;)

I would think things should be fine as long as there was no major load while the connection was made.
even if things are fine this time, please follow best practice, no open fluids within 10 feet and the rigs power cord unplugged.

Yes, keep all alcoholic beverages well out of reach, whilst doing open-case-surgery. ;)

Update:

Janus was unfortunately correct. My MSI X99 Gaming 9 and 980 Ti are fooked. I got the magical "00" debug which means dead motherboard. I then borrowed a friend's board and tested the 980 Ti and got a "d6" code which indicates bad GPU.

Like Janus said, the motherboard was probably good initially, but the damage probably happened when I plugged in the active PCI-e 6 pin connector to the 980 Ti. That's when I heard the static which blew out the 980 Ti and blew out the PCI-e slot of the motherboard.

Anyway lesson of the day: Don't be retarded like me. It might cost you $1000.

Back