• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it safe to delete old windows files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
Hi Guys,

With any luck, a fast easy one for the guys in the know :)

In the past I've only ever done clean instaills of an OS.
But I've done my first upgrade from Win7 to Win8 on my daughter's laptop, and even though I ticked "clean install" I see a folder called windows old, with all the old files etc from the Win 7 install.

Is it safe to just delete that, I will not be rolling it back, or be in need of anything that was on that install.

Thanks

Last edited:
Have you pulled everything from the User folder that you want to keep?
It will be in the Windows.old folder.

Yes, everything was backed up before the upgrade.

All thats left to do is delete the Windows.old folder via Disk Cleanup (thanks again redduc900)

Yes it can be deleted. And backing up your old files is the best of ideas before an upgrade/re-install. I've always perused the "Win Old" files visually, just a few minutes of double checking to make sure there weren't some "oh, yeah" moments such as "Favorites" or miscellaneous programs that I may want to either re-install on a fresh OS or upgrade/audit as well.

Back