• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth it to upgrade to AMD Threadripper 1900 from Ryzen 1700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys, just wondering what are the trade off and is it worth upgrading from Ryzen 1700 to Threadripper 1900? I use my computer for Audio Recording using Ableton Live 9, Steinberg Cubase 9, and other music softwares/VSTi. Plus I use do Video Editing with Adobe Premiere plus I enjoy my gaming time. I will be reusing the rest of the hardware that is on my signature with the exception of the cpu and mobo if I end up selling it. I want to hear your thoughts and input on this to help me decide wether or not is worth or a waste. Thanks!

Yea true I mean Ryzen 1700 seems to be working perfectly well now. No issues and really good performance.

I am in the market for an upgrade and TR 1900 seems like an attractive option. Most of my work involves Matlab, LabView and Altium, where cores help. I was also looking at Intel offerings, but it seems to be a very expensive comparative upgrade. I hope cheaper X399 show up though. :-/

If what you have now is doing everything you need it to do, then I see no need to upgrade other than to keep up with the Jones :) save the money and run with what you have.

Unless you need more PCIe lanes or more ram I cant see it helping any

That's kind of my take on the reviews too... except because the die being selected to go into TR chips are said to be the top 5% of all Zen dies produced so it's expected overclocking headroom will be greater!

Also, it's not just 'more ram'. You need to be using applications where the greater latency in UMA mode, which offers much better bandwidth, doesn't pose a problem. Most games, for instance, can't really benefit from the bandwidth as much as the latency so they are better off using local memory in NUMA mode.

Spot on, NUMA really seems to drop latencies on threadripper. Not sure it'd be as dramatic on the 1900x, but those will be out in the wild soon.

Untitled.png

To the OP, unless you do a lot of video editing or other memory bandwidth limited activities I'd think the 1700 to 1900(x) move would be mostly a sidegrade. A 1920x would be a nice boost over the 1700 at least for video encoding and other apps that can make use of the cores, but for myself I wouldn't be able to justify a move from a 1700 to a 1900x.

Spot on, NUMA really seems to drop latencies on threadripper. Not sure it'd be as dramatic on the 1900x, but those will be out in the wild soon.

To the OP, unless you do a lot of video editing or other memory bandwidth limited activities I'd think the 1700 to 1900(x) move would be mostly a sidegrade. A 1920x would be a nice boost over the 1700 at least for video encoding and other apps that can make use of the cores, but for myself I wouldn't be able to justify a move from a 1700 to a 1900x.

That really makes sense... along with the X399, it's being marketed as a true full-feature HEDT platform so that kind of work justifies the investment. Gaming will still be best (from a price/performance perspective) on R5 Ryzen as more developers use the multi-threaded systems that are proliferating. But even the R7 Ryzen won't be a 'better' choice (for gaming) until games use more than four hardware threads.

But there IS the special case of a person who likes to play a game whiles half the cores are busy encoding a video or rendering a scene or running a computational fluid dynamics model....

Last edited:
But there IS the special case of a person who likes to play a game whiles half the cores are busy encoding a video or rendering a scene or running a computational fluid dynamics model....

Special? Who HASN'T run a computational fluid dynamics model thingy while playing dota 2? :p

Thanks for the tips guys. I feel that Threadripper forces you go to AIO/Custom water cooler. I feel there are more air cooler options for the Ryzen 7 and maybe that will prevent people from going Threadripper. I feel for the extra cost I can upgrade my system to have 32GB of memory, maybe even a M.2 and two new monitors. XD

Thanks for the tips guys. I feel that Threadripper forces you go to AIO/Custom water cooler. I feel there are more air cooler options for the Ryzen 7 and maybe that will prevent people from going Threadripper. I feel for the extra cost I can upgrade my system to have 32GB of memory, maybe even a M.2 and two new monitors. XD

well...there's that, sure.

Then there's also the $200-$300 dollar premium for an ST4 motherboard and the close to doubled cost for memory since you need 4 DIMM's minimum to exploit the 4 channel memory.

Yeah...it's a true HEDT and that means it's a costly beast to kit out properly so one gets it only if they've a bona fide need for that kind of processing power. Not like Rhyzen/R7 that may be high performance (but not like ThreadRipper/R9) while still yet striking an "economical" chord.

Speaking of: the use case for the R9-1900 vs. R7-1800x is pretty narrow. I've read many reviewers are kind of agonizing over that fact. So if the USEAGE case margin is so narrow the economics case must be blown out of the water when you add motherboard/memory/cooling cost premium into the equation.

Last edited:
well...there's that, sure.

Then there's also the $200-$300 dollar premium for an ST4 motherboard and the close to doubled cost for memory since you need 4 DIMM's minimum to exploit the 4 channel memory.

Yeah...it's a true HEDT and that means it's a costly beast to kit out properly so one gets it only if they've a bona fide need for that kind of processing power. Not like Rhyzen/R7 that may be high performance (but not like ThreadRipper/R9) while still yet striking an "economical" chord.

Speaking of: the use case for the R9-1900 vs. R7-1800x is pretty narrow. I've read many reviewers are kind of agonizing over that fact. So if the USEAGE case margin is so narrow the economics case must be blown out of the water when you add motherboard/memory/cooling cost premium into the equation.

Yea true. I been building a low end system for TR4 and minimum without pumping the memory is about $1000. ouch! For me is the fact that no high end air cooler are out for them yet so I would be willing to stick with my Ryzen 7. XD I like water cooling but I feel would be sweet to have a high end air cooler cpu for it. Like a new version of Noctua NH-D15.

Noctua has a air cooler for TR4/SP3 socket MB's
NH-U14s-tr4-sp3

Oh yea I know the only unit and it looks like this tiny little thing compare to my Noctua NH-D15 cooler which seems like the unit that needs to be on that Threadripper. I may go that route though if I end up upgrading to that unit. I think if I go that route I should grab the 1950X CPU with 64GB of Memory to make it worth it. :D

Back