• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is LLC still necessary on modern Intel boards??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To really know, you need to use a multimeter on the bottom of the CPU socket. Software is as accurate as software ever is, and relying on the voltage controller to report the current vcore is potentially silly. If the controller notices droop, it'll bump it up.

Now it may have really gotten better, or it may just be that modern motherboards sense vcore via the controller instead of a dedicated tap for the BIOS/software.

Also, Hi! I'm still alive and well. Just busy and not overclocking. (I live in workstation/server land now. Very different!)

Great to see you pop in Bob! Thanks for the insight.

On X99 LLC is not required as it's not affecting vcore but PLL/vccin. At the end it doesn't change much in CPU stability.

All I do is up my voltage till my overclock is stable with prime95.

If you've ever overclocked a system, chances are that at some point or another you've had opportunity to become upset with your Vdroop "problem." Some users, confused as to why their system refuses to exactly match actual processor supply voltage to the value specified in BIOS, are quick to blame the quality their motherboard; still others find fault with the difference noted between their board's idle and full-load processor supply voltages. Actually, load line droop (Vdroop) is an inherent part of any Intel power delivery design specification and serves an important role in maintaining system stability. In most cases, comments regarding unacceptable power delivery performance are completely unfounded. To make matters worse, unjustified negative consumer perception surrounding this often misunderstood design feature eventually forced a few motherboard manufacturers to respond to enthusiasts' demands for action by adding an option in their BIOS that effectively disables this important function.

Finally, let's take one last real-world look at the consequences of removing Vdroop. ASUS' implementation of this feature, labeled as Load Line Calibration and included with their latest line of motherboards, is particularly worthy of our attention for a number of reasons.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2404/6

2007. There's been 5 gens of products in that time. It's clear for whatever reason, some boards are better than others at this for whatever reason.

Back