• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is PoE Universal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

I've got this Polycom SoundStation IP 4000 VoiP phone. It uses a "power interface module" that to the best of my knowledge is just a PoE injector. However if you check out their proprietary module on eBay it's nearly $100! That's pretty pricey just to troubleshoot. I'd like to just sub in a generic PoE injector, but I don't know enough about the technology. Is PoE universal or are their different voltages that I should be aware of?

wikipedia said:
Power over Ethernet or PoE describes any of several standardized or ad-hoc systems

No, it isn't universal. Wikipedia suggests Polycom uses "PowerDsine Power over LAN". External reference shows a 3Com device (earlier mentions 3Com along with Polycom regarding Dsine) with V+ on pin 7 and V- on pin 8. Grab a multimeter, figure out the voltages, find a standard PoE injector that can supply those, and crimp your own "crossover" cable with the wires in the right places on both ends.

Last edited:
Well crap.. that was not the answer I was hoping for. However Petty I appreciate you looking into it.

Back