• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the generic cooler okay for a non OC'd i7-2600k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drakmor

Registered
Hey, I'm going to be building my first desktop soon, and I have a few questions about cooling. Here's the system specs:
Processor- i7 2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4ghz
RAM- 8GB DDR3
Graphics- Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Power- 1080w (I know its more than I need but I'm planning to do SLI later)
Mobo- ASRock Z68 Extreme4
Case- Rosewill Cruiser

So, the case seems pretty cool according to reviews, and I'm probably going to buy one more fan for the bottom power supply vent. My main question here is about the processor. I've seen extra heatsinks/fans that you can buy separately for processors. How important are those for keeping the system cool? I'm not planning to overclock immediately (though I'm definitely planning to do it within a year or so), so will the one that comes with the processor suffice until then or even for the overclocking? Thanks!

The stock cooler is definitely fine for a non-OC'd CPU. If it wasn't, they wouldn't include it with the CPUs, b/c that would cause an increase in RMAs.

SB runs cooler than previous generation CPUs, so I would expect the stock cooler to be able to handle a little OCing. Enough to get you started and make you want more, which then you'll be in the market for a better cooler :)

a 1kw psu is overkill for a 2 card sli/cf setup. you can tone it down to a 700-750 and be fine. you might be able to go lower since your not overclocking the cpu. i would consider getting an aftermarket cooler, even if you dont spend much. a 20-30 cooler is going to provide much lower temps then the intel one.

like this one here or this one here.

Okay, cool. I'll probably buy a cooler when I start overclocking then, I don't think I can really afford it right now. Looking at the power though, the newegg calculator says that with two graphics cards I'll be using a little over 800w. I also didn't mention that I'm going to be running two hdds if it makes any difference.... but I want to build this so that I can just add on without having to replace. How much more than 800 should I get so I can overclock later without having to replace the psu?

an 850 will do with ocing later... not sure what else you will plan to add though... a 1kw i would suggest if going all out with two dual-gpu cards.. i ran my sig in rig with dual 8800GTS 640mb in sli on a 520watt back in the day with no problems.

The stock cooler is definitely fine for a non-OC'd CPU. If it wasn't, they wouldn't include it with the CPUs, b/c that would cause an increase in RMAs.

SB runs cooler than previous generation CPUs, so I would expect the stock cooler to be able to handle a little OCing. Enough to get you started and make you want more, which then you'll be in the market for a better cooler :)

My Nehalem(sp?) could OC to 3.4 with no issues on the stock cooler. SB should be plenty fine.

Sweet, thanks for the info about the cooling and power! Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, I was out of town for a few days.

Just as a reference:
My mate got an i5-2600K with this cooler and I overclocked it to 4Ghz. It runs idle at 31c and won't go above 50c on full load. However the case does have 7 120mm fans.
I believe the 32nm cpus run very cool, even on stock fan.

Back