• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this enough cooling, water nub

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
now all I have to do is decide on a cpu block and a res then I can put in the order tonight.

the pa 120.3 isn't a bad buy though, if you already have it definantly keep it, its the best of the best, its like the storm vs apogee, many people buy the storm, even though its barely any better, but they pay the extra because they want the best.

but i just got the mcr320 today, man, i touched it, it was basicly room temperature, but it was CHILLY. and when you touch a thing thats at room temp. but feels cold, thats a good sign for cooling :)

Well this is What I am about to order short of hose clamps and barbs for the radiator. Is there anything to the coolant/non conductive water? Or is the distilled water route fine?
checkout1.jpg

Man, you're all set!

Distilled water is fine with a loop like that although a little anti-freeze (5%) is recommended by some to inhibit oxidation. Also, an algaecide is a must. Just a few drops of iodine in the loop (alcohol-free if you can find it) is good. Some people say algaecide for aquariums works well, too ...

Everything looks fine.

As for the rad debate, the Thermochill 120.3 is the best of the best. It is optimized for airflow and works the best of any rad at low cfm especially. The difference in performance between the MCR320 and 120.3 lessens as airflow increases. In testing, the PA120.2 performs on par with a MCR320, so you can see there is a noticeable difference between the two in performance. How much of a difference does this make in real world temps? Depending on the setup and heat dump, it can make a difference of up to 7 degrees C, although probably more like several degrees C. The other advantage of the 120.3 is that is has only a 6% flow restriction vs an 18% flow restriction for the MCR320. So the rad can also effect your GPU temps as well due to differences in flow.

Now is it worth the money when the Thermochill is over twice as much? For many people, no. In my case, I happened to catch Danger Den a number of months ago with a 25% off coupon, and landed a 120.3 for $105 shipped. That was a good enough deal to make me bite at it. If I had to pay full price for it though, I probably would also go with the MCR320. It is the next best choice among rads on the market.

I would buy Swiftech Hydrx coolant mix and then combine that with distilled water. Also you might wanna buy some extra tubing for when you add the video cards.

trenchdog73 said:
Well this is What I am about to order short of hose clamps and barbs for the radiator. Is there anything to the coolant/non conductive water? Or is the distilled water route fine?

Non-conductive really is a waste on money IMO as it will become conductive in short order anyway. As for HydraX, I think it is seriously overpriced for what you get. You pay $4 or so for one treatment when you can use distilled water and a few drops of povidone-iodine and be done with it (provided you are using all copper/brass components). Or, if you want or need to, you can get a gallon of antifreeze that is enough to last for years and years of refills for maybe $8. If you decide that you want to throw some antifreeze in there for color or whatever, pentosin antifreeze is the best choice.

What cfm rating would be good for this radiator? Im shopping for fans now... any suggestions? Any name to shop for good price/quality?

Last edited:
Well, I don't use case fans for my rads BUT if I were to buy some case fans right now I'd probably get these or these along with a fan controller to adjust the voltage/speed/noise. A lot of guys like the Yate Loons or Sanyo Denki's on fan controllers but even @ 7v I suspect those fans would be too loud for me ...

Last edited:
Anything up to 100CFM. Then you can use a rheobus or a 12V/5V switch and speed up or slow down the fans to your noise preference and performance.

For example when you are just web surfing, knock them down to 5V and enjoy the whisper quiet. But when you are gaming, you can speed them up for the extra cooling power.

Also you want a 120x25 fan so it works with the screws that come with the radiator!

I would second the Arctic Coolings as I have them and love them even at full speed. I haven't used Yate Loons yet so I can't comment on them.

~jtjuska

I think Im ganna pick up 3 of the thermal takes because I like the cfm to nose but I think im ganna hold off on the controller till I decide if going to push/pull or not.

Would putting a T in my loop in addition to the res make it easier to fill/drain the system when needed?

Back