• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this laptop worth 440?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Deaf Boy

Registered
Gateway P-7811FX

Brand/Model Gateway GTW P-7811FX
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
CPU Speed 2.26 GHz
Harddisk 500 GB Fujitsu (2x 250GB 5400 RPM, 2x FKL-MHY2250BH)
Memory 8GB (PC3-8500, DDR3 1066)
Screen Size 17 in.
Video Adapter Nvidia GeForce 9800GTS (resolution 1920x1200)
Optical Drive LG Electronics HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50F
Ethernet Marvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Wireless Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Webcam 1.3 Megapixel
Battery Included; holds charge
AC Adapter Included
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Condition Used; Excellent cosmetic condition. No damage. No dead pixels. Fully Working. Will be shipped in original box.
Other 3x USB 2.0; 1x Esata/USB Combo;1x Firewire; 1x 54 mm Expresscard; 1x HDMI; 1x VGA; 1x SDHC; 1x Memorystick

Everything but the brand and screen res match my wifes asus G52 which I paid about that much refurbished for. I would say its probably worth that much. To get more power than that in a lappy your looking at 700+

Everything but the brand and screen res match my wifes asus G52 which I paid about that much refurbished for. I would say its probably worth that much. To get more power than that in a lappy your looking at 700+

Thanks, I wanted something that had 17 in with a very high resolution as I am going to college for computer science this summer.
I wanted something that can play my favortie games no problem (css, dota2, skyrim) but also something that will run CS5 collection programs fluently.

Even though this is getting 'old' I'd say it's beefy for its age and would still run 99% of what's out there (including newer games at lower resolutions). If battery life isn't an issue consider getting a 7200rpm drive, will boost performance big time. SSD would smoke.

That machine has dual HDDs so I would definitely recommend putting a SSD in. My laptop is faster than alot of quad core desktops since I added the SSD and its a T7600 C2D with DDR2 ram.

So, I take it that it is a good deal, but I should try to find a SSD which will boast it?
Will SSD improve performance in dreamweaver ect?

SSD's are mostly for improving random access read / write speeds, so program execution will be sped up significantly. If your typical Dreamweaver work is bottlenecked by hard drive seek times, you'll see a large improvement. Also, if you are dealing with large files, the increased sequential read / write speeds will improve. Personally, I think that an SSD is the most noticeable upgrade to most usage scenarios today.

No reason to waste money on a SATA 3 SSD since the laptop im sure doesnt have it. Find a nice big sata2 drive for cheap. I have an Adata in mine, an OCZ in my wifes rig, and a corsair in my main system. Outside of disk benchmarks I cant discern between the 3 drives when it comes to startup, or program launches. I can say that with an SSD in my laptop I can open any part of CS5 in under 10 seconds. Firefox opens instantly, 22 seconds from a cold boot. That was my first SSD and I havent looked back once.

Back