• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SavageBasher

CapBank.png

Basicly, I'll be connecting my cmoy headphone amp to a wallwart, but I want to minimize the 60hz voltage flux as much as possible, so adding a bunch of caps in parallel will do that, correct?

If its a good quality amp it should have built-in ripple rejection, filtering etc...
Do you hear background noise, distorsion ?

...I guess you don't know what a cmoy is.

And yes, I can hear the ripple when using a wall wart. I just want to know if I put all of the caps like that if it will reduce the ripple or not.

According to: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamp-ps.html
"Op-Amp Power Supply Quality Considerations"

"We want a flat DC voltage level, so the next step is to smooth the pulsating DC out. In the simplest type of unregulated DC power supplies, the smoothing circuit is just a large capacitor. This results in a flatter waveform, but there is still some variation; this is called ripple. To reduce ripple, you can use bigger and better capacitors, and add other filtering components like inductors."
So yes a large capacitor (or multiple capacitors in parallel) should help reduce the ripple. The only thing that I might be concerned about is the initial current. If the capacitors you use are big enough, when you turn on the circuit the current drawn by the cap while they are charging, might be bigger than what the PSU can supply.

Back