• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's supposed to be easy !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grizzard

I have a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H with a F5 Bios sporting a i5 4670. I've scoured the net with bunches of overclocking guides and it seems I've turned an easy overclock into one that doesn't work after 4.4 Ghz. The numbers show correctly in the UEFI but incorrectly in Win7 using Cpu-Z, Hardware Monitor and OCCT, and yet I can use Gigabyte's Tweaking Utility in Windows at 4.7 Ghz and it displays and runs fine ... well mostly. I get about 30 minutes into OCCT with the Small Data Set and crashes .. but then again, I haven't tweaked it to work at 4.7. I don't understand why it always shows 4.2 or 4.4 until I run the Gigabyte utility ... and then it will show fine. Windows is not recognizing the settings in the bios after 4.4 ??? I'm blue in the face .... I must be overlooking something simple?? Or maybe I'm too simple .....

I know people sometimes have windows set to power save mode. If your program may kill window's power saving mode..

The freezing is it crashing.. some people have different meanings when they talk about stable oc's. Some believe a successful OC is when windows opens up, but I consider a successful OC is when a computer has ran stress tests for 12/24 hours.

Just also remember when you overclock, just because someone can get to a reported speed with the cpu, that does not mean you can get near those speeds - every chip is different.

^exactly ive seen 8350's go 1.5v and 5.5GHZ and at 1.5 i couldnt get mine to do 4.8 stable. its all about the chip

^exactly ive seen 8350's go 1.5v and 5.5GHZ and at 1.5 i couldnt get mine to do 4.8 stable. its all about the chip

Yeah I have fell in that situation and then I feel "cheated" but then again they do sell you a product, it is just a lottery and how well it oc's. I do feel like some peoples explanations are exaggerated some times but it is why I mentioned some peoples stability is different then others.

Thanks guys, I appreciate. My problem is not crashing but that the settings I apply in the bios is not reflected in Cpuz, HardwareMonitor, or OCCT when I get into Windows7. I will set cpu speed to 4.5 Ghz in the bios but Windows only sees 4.2 Ghz in all 3 programs. I have wiped and reset the bios several times, booted with optimized settings and on subsequent boots tried again and I get the same results. I know my system will do 4.5 Ghz in Windows because I can use the GigabyteTweaking Utility and even run at 4.6 Ghz without crashing. But somehow the bios doesn't send what I type in to the cpu, even though it shows in the bios correctly. I'm thinking it's somehow a bug with Gigabyte's F7 bios. Maybe I should downgrade to an earlier bios? Somehow ....it doesn't matter what bumps I give it up to 4.6 Ghz .... because when it's booted up ... it's 4.2 Ghz. Again ... when I do the Gigabyte Tweaking utility it bangs right up to 4.6 Ghz or more without complaining. I may return it if there doesn't seem to be a fix.

Is your board reading the 4.6ghz when it boots up? Or do you set that, and then wait for it to reboot to windows.

Sometimes if bios fails several times, it will reset to stock speeds and then boot to windows, say if your multiplier is set too high or??

No, even though I have set it to 4.6 Ghz in the bios it will show at 4.4 Ghz max in the Windows apps. But if I use Gigabyte's own "Tweaker" while in Windows7 and set it to 4.6, then it will show at 4.6 Ghz in all the apps, and run the stress tests, even the small data test in OCCT. Temps then are in the low 80s. So the board has me confused because it doesn't reflect what I enter in the bios. I know I should have gone for the Asus .... but I was trying to save a few bucks.

I usually try to save a few bucks too, and usually fall in your situation too..

I have no other ideas except for maybe just autostarting that program if all else fails.

Yeah I have fell in that situation and then I feel "cheated" but then again they do sell you a product, it is just a lottery and how well it oc's. I do feel like some peoples explanations are exaggerated some times but it is why I mentioned some peoples stability is different then others.

I can't really hate the supplier or AMD. but I wish i had gotten a better chip that's for sure. but a upgrade to a 4960k/x should fix it haha

Tech Tweaker .... now that makes sense. I had them disabled at one time but may have turned them back on. I'll go back and give that a try and reply back if that fixes it.

I'm sorry that I have not seen a step by step guide for this mobo. I have seens some YouTube clips but I did not have any luck following what I viewed.

Tech Tweaker .... you are right!! Thanks for the GREAT tip. I turned off the power saver features and it booted and stayed solid on 4.4 Ghz. Ok .... next step was to boost my ram voltage to factory (1.65V) which I did causing it to BSOD and resetting to default, but at least I'm further along than I was. Kinda surprises me though that just turning on XMP and setting voltage to 1.65 would cause it to crash. Memory is GSkill DDR2400 which ran just fine at lower speed AND timings ... but at least I'm learning. Thanks again.

Back