• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just a cooling unit install ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quingoff

Registered
got one for you guys and girls out there. I just purchased and installed a koolance system pc3-425sl with cpu, nb (m# gpu-180 V06) and gpu(gpu-180 L06) coolers.The cooler I have questions about is the NB cooler (i'm confindent about the cpu install). Now do to certain situations I was not able to install the NB cooler to the MB while the MB was resting on a table, I installed it when the MB was already secure on the standoffs.

Question 1, what behaviors from the computer should I be aware of to indicate inproper or not flush install of the NB cooler or Ques. 2 How can I successfully physically view the mating of the NB cooler while its in the case?

I have been running the comp for 3-6 hrs internvals at a time with a down time of like 6 to 8 hrs when I'm asleep and its turned off and a couple hour intervals when I just have it off when I'm just not using the comp (so I'd say in the three days its been operational the total time on would be like 27to 29 hrs or so), all I have doing in those three days is install 2 partitions of XP, and do simple tasks in windows like view the net, driver loading etc. nothing intense yet like gaming. Question 3 do you think if the NB cooler would have been installed wrong even doing simple tasks like I just explained would have surfaced any problems ?

If for some reason I do find that it is not flush from the feedback I get here, can I simply undo the two screws and washers securing the unit in place and re attach them without removing the whole unit and thermal compound (AS5)? The main reason I am concerned about the NB install was that first I couldn't get a side view of the install because it was in the case, and second the washers and screws securing the unit from what I can see one screw I can view 3 or 4 more threads than the other heres a diagram of what I meanNB Diagram

Thanks

P.S. hopefully this didn't double post, the first time I clicked submit a error happend

P.S.S this post was made with the comp in question but I'm only doing a simply non intensive task here

If you start getting random lockups and/or reboots....you may have a problem...my aftermarket NB cooler it held on w/ a piece of yarn, Im 100% sure its not making the best contact it could be making....ive been running that way for a few weeks now and my overclock is decent as are my temps....system is solid as a rock.

If you start getting random lockups and/or reboots....you may have a problem

Would you say that, those types of symptoms would appear while doing the simple tasks I have been doing (net browsing, etc) or does it take a intensive program to bring about that situation?

According to the Asus Probe Program I had to use (MBM5 didn't support the board I have now Asus A7v880) the MB temp has been within the 30 to 35 C range, I really have no frame of referrance as to whether that is a good temp for a watercooling setup, should it be lower or is that about right?
What should I expect to see the temp go to when I play games like HF2, 3 or 4 degrees?

And finally a question unrelated to the MB temp, my CPU readings (AMD 2700+) with the koolance probe provided with the setup are in the 30 to 33C range, and cpu readings from bios are 10 to 11C higher, so I just add 10 to the koolance probe reading. Anyway, one thing I noticed was that each session I have turned my computer on the readings go up a degree or 2C each time, for instance all day yesterday the koolance probe was reading 31C, it sat turned off for the night and when I just booted it up now after about 30 min. of operation the probe is reading 33C (similiar ambient temp) Is that just a circumstance of the thermal compound I used (Arctic Silver 5) curing? And after a couple more sessions the temp will go back down?

Back